Creating Purlins for Roof Plan

sept1951

Hi Perry,

Although this is still in the code book, we rarely see them in new construction here.   We also see them in agricultural pole buildings.

I looked up the definition, and it can be any horizontal member that breaks the rafter span.

Hi Perry,

This is a purlin shown in the Oregon Residential Specialty code.  They can be vertical as well; but then I would likely call it a roof beam.

Bill,

I do it the same as you have it here in your section. But I don't try to get it in the framing because we don't need to see the purlins in 3D so its just as easy to draw the purlins with bracing into the section.

I just use the roof beam tool, it places them right up against the bottom of the rafters.

Perry,

Once you put the beam in can you rotate it in the section to get what Bill is doing? Not that you need to do that but was curious if you ever tried it. You would the one that showed me how to edit in section views.

I am actually surprised there is no automated way to do this , I 'd think fairly easy to implement since as you say Bill a modified Lookout would do the job , fair bit of work to do them all manually every 900mm or so.

Mick,

You can automate the process.  Just stretch one lookout, then use the multiple copy tool.  They will follow the roof plane.   Then group select, and raise them  as necessary.  You'll have to raise the roof plane an equal amount.

The only downside is you'll have to turn off auto roof framing.

Hi Richard,

If you're referring to the cross section that I posted; I simply showed where Chief shows a roof beam by default.  I would have to raise it to create the birdsmouth; but I just posted it as a quick comparison of vertical, compared to perpendicular.  That seemed to be the essence of the discussion between Perry and I.

I would just nail a 2x block under the purlin, that's the old way, now we just extend posts up inside the wall to a beam with an approved steel connection. most of the time an interior shear wall has to extend to the roof anyway. and for me at least purlins are 4x and bigger depending on the situation.