is there anybody.... out there listing to my stor...y

antoine

is there anybody.... out there listing to my stor...y

ok guys, you had to off been a hippy from the 60's to get that one.

so what i would like to know is there anyone out there presenting their work with either;-

1- a holographic plate (holograms)

2- 3D printed models

I'm currently using a Holodeck which has the added benefit of being able to transport my clients not only to the new home I've designed but also to any place in time they'd like to visit that home. Mixed reviews so far.

ok guys, you had to off been a hippy from the 60's trekky to get that one  :P

so Larry,

what sort of size is it and can you put any image from your pc on at any time?

is it visual from a head set? or can it be seen by many people as the same time?

and hippy from the 60's, yep

If you don't mind, could you give a bit more detail as to exactly what you mean by holographic plate (holograms).

There have been types of holographic presentations available for quite some time now. Very cool what they could do, but the new VR that is about to be released has the potential to be much more powerful than anything I have seen previously. When this technology is combined with photorealistic ray tracing in real time using an interactive rendering engine things start to get a lot more interesting.

Supposedly, visor based VR will be available at a broad consumer price base in the near future. Very soon we can expect beta software and prototype equipment to be available for these markets. I am not so sure how this will play out in the home design market though. Some may like the visor, and others may prefer to just view the model on screen. That can be done now, but with a bit of pixelization as the camera moves. This problem is currently being addressed.

Whatever the form these technologies actually take, the real key is interactive rendering. As in change the model and or the material definintions to suit customer needs in real time. There remain some fairly large gaps in being able to pull this off currently due to the lack of interoperability required between various software products. Chief models and ray traced images can do a very good job of conveying design ideas, but the response I see from customers is vastly different when the ray tracing is in real time with interactive capabilities. 2 cents.

One interesting aspect to Sketchfab is that the online models can be set to use VR technology with a very simple renaming convention. (You can then use Oculus Rift, for example.) I am starting work with a client who works for Oculus, and will be interested to see how well this works with architectural models.

Please keep us posted Richard.

What I see as a very good solution to these potentials would be for Chief to be able to have GPU interactive raytracing. The problem I have seen so far is that the interactive rendering engines typically only work with their own node based systems.

That and U3D export would be a very powerful combination. It does not seem to be an issue with the advancement of technologies that is the problem. The problem is still the lack of software compatibilty. The more things change........

Mine is very similar to this one. It's more modern and is of course designed to fit upon my remodeled (using Chief of course) Star Ship Cruiser, which I hope to post in the "Show Your Goodies' thread when it returns from Alpha Centuri later this year.  :P  :P  :P

That will be far to late to be newsworthy Larry. What is kind of funny is that one of the major players involved in advancing these VR technologies is Gene Roddenberry's son. His goal is to see his fathers vision of the holodeck become a reality.

Beta software is available for free currently, but as one would expect it is rather buggy and there are lots of equipment issues. More power to those testers though.

yes Rod, i was thinking that what we need is to produce a hologram or physical model that all can see, around a table or whatever for example.

the idea is for us to get across our presentations clean smoothly and to capture an interest and should be mobile on top of that.

thanks for you info and thoughts mate, great for us to get that

Richard, sounds like we are interested on your follow up on that, please keep us up to date mate, great and thanks.

Larry, thanks for info. great your thinking on how to go forward, much appreciated.  

we are interested in how you going to get about this, and for us all to see.

Microsoft Hololens (head gear) functioning is being push at the moment, problem with that is that only one person can play/experiment/ view at a time.

not sure how good it would be for us to present our presentations though, but we are all ears and eyes to finding out how we can work this deal

great guys, love it. keep coming. lets make a great future