How to do flat pad on terrain with elevation lines crossing this

Homesteadconc_NZ

Hello,

I have created the existing terrain. I now need to create the modified terrain which has 2 different flat pad areas going right around the house. When i try and add a flat area (by adding a elevation region) i get a lot of jagged shapes. I think this is because the elevation lines are crossing each other. 

See attached images before and after the flat area is added.

Can you please help me how to create a flat area around the house and then add retaining walls to hold back the existing sloping area,

Thanks, 

Georgina  

post-5640-0-20689400-1434604210_thumb.jpg

post-5640-0-68521400-1434604211_thumb.jpg

post-5640-0-34294600-1434604213_thumb.jpg

post-5640-0-58159100-1434604214_thumb.jpg

The best advice I can share is to not allow elevation lines to cross (interfere with) your flat regions. It is unnecessary to micromanage terrain elevation objects. Place only as few as you need and NO MORE. Simpler is better and more manageable.

DJP

Do you have the   "Hide Terrain Intersected by Building" on ?  ,it hard to tell from your pics but it looks like the lines run thru the house?

post-315-0-48490500-1434617800_thumb.jpg

Best to post the Plan if possible , if you want some help on complicated stuff BTW....

M.

I've abandoned elevation lines and use only elevation regions. If your terrain has to be spot on and match an exact topo map then lines will probably be necessary, and evil, as you have found out. If you need to merely represent the terrain elevation regions are much more kind and easy to work with. They can also be quite accurate if you mess with them enough.

If you need both elevations lines and regions then David's advice, I think, is good. Not easy, but good advice none the less.

Mick,

I believe that setting only applies to the generated terrain - not the elevation lines themselves.

...if I get your meaning.

@Glen ...I didn't mean it was a cure for anything in this particular case, been a while since I played with Terrains but like in Larry's Vid. above, the EL Lines don't go thru the structure, and I have seen Grass in the Basement before without this setting On.

Perhaps I am seeing the Difference between EL Lines and EL Region Auto Lines?

M.