Stop Roof at Wall

para-CAD

Hi everyone,

As I'm doing my due diligence to search for an answer from the user and reference manuals, I decided to also post this (probably overly basic) question here on the blog site.

I have been using chief architect for about three weeks, and unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you would view it, I am being swamped with work.  CA is great but my deadline-driven learning curve is brutal.

Whenever I use the join roof planes tool in the scenario shown in the attached image file it causes the garage roof to extend into the house through the wall. I assume that there is some command that I can select that will cause the wall to be a stopping point where the correct roof planes would be generated. Any help with this is greatly appreciated and if I discover the answer in the literature I will return and post it here.

On a sidenote, one of the frustrating things that I've noticed as I jump between AutoCAD and Chief Architect is that the spacebar acts like the escape key in CA which is okay until you're in AutoCAD and you press the spacebar and repeat the last command.  Or try the ESC key in CA

I really enjoy reading the insight provided here by the veteran users. Thank you. 

post-6283-0-99525200-1434563360_thumb.png

Let the auto roof build the roof instead of doing roof planes manually and see what happens.

You could change Hotkey  assignments to what you are familiar with since you are accustomed to ACAD.

Always good to post the plan file if you need help , just too many things to check in dbx's (dialog boxes).

M.

Go to the plan view and show the roof planes along with the walls. Select the roof plane and hit the 3 hot key to make a break point on the roof where it intersects the wall. Now grab the roof ridge extension and drag it back to the wall line.

• Upvote 1

Great points so far.  Thanks much!!

I tried the break line tool, but I will need to re-try now.  The roof is on the first floor garage wall and slices through the second floor house wall.  I assume that I can use the first floor house wall as a reference line when cutting the roof plane?

I will try to upload the file in a few...........I didn't know that was an option.  Very cool.

Y'all are awesome!  Thank you for taking time out of your life to help me out.  

As promised I found out what you had already knew...Adding a Step to an Edge was the success.

You're right..........I'll let Chief do more auto steps as I learn it.  Thanks all.

post-6283-0-58814300-1434576871_thumb.png