Roof to wall

Gawdzira

Alan:

I don't think so.  Chief likes to place blocking in the space between the rafters ... as I am sure you have already determined.  I thought using a wall material region might be helpful but it won't extend up into the rafters when I try it.  Using a PL solid will if you want to use that as your exterior finish.  There might be some other way to trick it to work ... I will have to scratch my head a little harder to come up with other options.  Have you tried lowering the roof after its built?  That doesn't sound like a good option to me.  How about 2 floors and then lower the roof to match the first floor plate heights?

Alan,

It can be done - but it's not very logical.

Delete your blocking.

Open the roof dbx and set the Gable Sub Fascia to zero - it will probably default back to 1/16". 

This moves the top of the walls up to the roof.

post-106-0-53066700-1434522207_thumb.jpg

Actually if you don't mind quick and dirty Alan it can look ok if not 100% perfect like this :

post-315-0-39229600-1434524175_thumb.jpg

- Looks like you did the Roof Planes Manually , so I reset the Walls so I could play with the Auto Roof settings 1st ,

- then set the Roof blocking to 8 1/4 "  ie 1 " more than rafter depth ( so there's no join line) and set them Vertical.

- then I added a rafter on the end flush with the stucco and shortened it to the wall line

- then with the Painter Tool painted the end Rafter I just made and the blocking with the wall Stucco.

Edit : as you can tell I wasn't aware of Glenn's Tip either.... NICE  looks better in Vector too.

"Open the roof dbx and set the Gable Sub Fascia DEPTH to zero - it will probably default back to 1/16". 

Alan,

It can be done - but it's not very logical.

Delete your blocking.

Open the roof dbx and set the Gable Sub Fascia to zero - it will probably default back to 1/16". 

This moves the top of the walls up to the roof.

This did not work for me.  What do you think I am doing wrong.  See attached plan

BBB GLENNS SIDING TO SHEATHING PLAN 1.plan.zip

Ah...you need to uncheck Ceiling Over This Room - everyone knows that!! :) . 

It is the ceiling joists that are forcing the wall top down.

I'm off to bed now so will have a play in the morning and see if I can figure a way to do it with the flat ceiling.

Ah...you need to uncheck Ceiling Over This Room - everyone knows that!! :) . 

It is the ceiling joists that are forcing the wall top down.

I'm off to bed now so will have a play in the morning and see if I can figure a way to do it with the flat ceiling.

I can have ceiling,  I do need to balloon thru,  I do need to have zero subfascia and I think I need zero blocking.  See plan.

A lot more work than it should be.

alan wall to roof zero block zero sub fascia with ceiling.plan.zip

I am so happy (and sad) that this was not me being a dope and spending 8 years working on a CADD program to just be slightly mediocre. I should not need to delete the blocking to make this happen. See the section where I have lost my bird blocking.

post-170-0-41523300-1434550424_thumb.jpg

I am so happy (and sad) that this was not me being a dope and spending 8 years working on a CADD program to just be slightly mediocre. I should not need to delete the blocking to make this happen. See the section where I have lost my bird blocking.

Alan,   I am glad you brought this  up.  Somehow in the last 10 years I have gotten by.  But it is silly that we cannot have the vertical blocking stack on top of wall and have exterior finish go up to roof sheathing. A very very  common occurrence.

It seems to me that on an occasion I stumbled on a solution but I did not study it and I do not know if I could replicate the solution. Glenn's method seems like we are giving something up,  i.e. the blocking and a sub fascia.

Recently I saw a post by Perry whereby he had a solution.  Hopefully he will pipe in with his solution.........  if he ever gets out of bed the darn slug.

Strange cos when I tested Glens tip ,after figuring out it was the depth setting of the gable fascia that needed to be 0" , it worked for me with no issues in Alan's Plan, didn't delete the blocking but may have set it to 0"x0" too.

Will have a play when back at Computer.

I didn't look at your Plan Scott so perhaps things are setup differently? , but I'll attach Alan's Revised Plan below, but perhaps I am not quite understanding your issue?

I rebuilt the Roof Auto ,after setting the correct Full gable etc. then applied these settings and changed the Roof sheathing to whitewashed decking spun to 0° on the texture and Pattern. Blocking makes no diff. in Alan's plan at lest...

M.

post-315-0-58478300-1434573498_thumb.jpg

Erinphries as built_R1.plan

I didn't look at your Plan Scott so perhaps things are setup differently? , but I'll attach Alan's Revised Plan below, but perhaps I am not quite understanding your issue?

I rebuilt the Roof Auto ,after setting the correct Full gable etc. then applied these settings and changed the Roof sheathing to whitewashed decking spun to 0° on the texture and Pattern. Blocking makes no diff. in Alan's plan at lest...

M.

attachicon.gifStucco Roof Settings.JPG

attachicon.gifErinphries as built_R1.plan

I opened Alan's plan,  I built the framing,  adjusted the thickness of exterior finish so the blocking will show and you can see by the picture what I got.  Note the blocking is OUTSIDE of the wall and not stacked on top.  Solution,  minimize the blocking so it does not show and then edit as needed to show blocking on top of wall in lieu of outside of wall.

post-50-0-01669300-1434574867_thumb.png

Well I can't be held responsible for the vagaries of CA  :)

Actually all I did was select the block in section view and turn off auto height and drag it back where it was supposed to be .

While doing that though I noticed the other side of the house didn't get the blocking or the stucco upto the roof sheathing ( I never spun the model so didn't notice that earlier). Easy to copy and paste blocking to the other side , but not sure about the full height stucco on that side as it is on the other 3 walls.

M.

post-315-0-18377800-1434577015_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-86962500-1434577022_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-53312100-1434577032_thumb.jpg

The non stucco wall is cos Alan had 2 walls set as balloon thru only , set them all to balloon thru and its ok ... he is also using you extra floor which I didn't notice it looking like a single level building.

M.