What is a "shadow board" exactly

bkjernis

While we're at it, I guess it might be a good time to define my definition of fascia. I call the main finish board around the ENTIRE roof permiter fascia whether it's on the rake or not, so my definition of a shadow board would be the same as Perry's.

A little unrelated, but I've always referred to what you guys are calling a rake as the barge or barge rafter. I do however call a stick framed gable end wall a rake wall. I guess I now see where the term comes from.

I think we could probably go on all day comparing definitions. A lot of terms seem to vary regionally. I imagine most carpentry related terms probably become more accurate the further east you go (as you get closer to the historical sources).

Good question.

I have an illustrated dictionary of historic architecture that I refer to when I want to get the background on architectural terminology.   So far I have not found a direct reference to shadow boards as such, but I did find some information that may be of interest.

A verge is the edge projecting over the gable of a roof.  This appears to be a very old term, that was used to describe pretty much the same elements that are and were for that matter referred to as a barge.  We don't, or at least I hadn't heard the term verge currently.  But it seems that it used to be very common to use either of the two terms to mean the same thing.

Where it starts to make a little more sense as to where the term shadow board came from is that a verge, or barge board was often very decoratively carved, and from the illustrations I have seen, it would definely cast a shadow onto the gable wall it was projecting beyond.  Also this verge or barge board was not the same thing as a barge rafter, otherwise known as a barge couple "two rafters".

There was another thing that also made me wonder where exactly the term shadow board came from and that was related to stonework.  It seems the masonry that projected beyond a gable roof was called a barge stone or barge course.  Seems to me that this would also cast a shadow on the gable wall.  But that is just me guessing.

The closest thing I could find regarding the term rake was that it simply meant sloping or inclined.  When the term was applied to the gable it seems that in general it was called a raking cornice, and the element often used for such a purpose was a crown molding that was refered to as a raking molding.  This same terminology appears to have been used also for pediments or roofs.

Hope this was helpful.  I am still curious myself whether there is a clear difinition of where the term shadow board came from.

Good question.

Where is Wendy?

"Shadow Boards" were a big hot button for her.  I can only assume that it's commonly used in New England since that's where Wendy's from.

Basically, as used by Chief Architect the term refers to a piece of trim used on the Fascia which covers the edged of the roof sheathing and supports the shingles as they extend beyond the roof edge.  Generally, this is a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 wood - but it can be whatever size you specify.  It could even be a piece of 3D Molding (Egg & Dart, etc)

BTW, due to the fact that it can slow down render view manipulation, I don't recommend using 3D Moldings for this - or for that matter for much of anything else.  ;)

Hope this was helpful.  I am still curious myself whether there is a clear difinition of where the term shadow board came from.

Good question.

It's a Chief thing I suppose. I've never heard of the term either until this feature was introduced in the recent versions.

In carpenter speak, a shadow board is just a build up of the rake board.

BTW, has Wendy even signed up on the new forum? I'm wondering if this place is only for SSA members?