Saving Your Own Tips and Tricks

HumbleChief

This might not work for everyone and some people may be able to remember the many techniques presented throughout the fourm but I can't seem to remember all the techniques and end up going back to google or the forums for the answer - again.

So to help remember 'how to' do various techniques in Chief I've set up a YouTube Channel that I am going to populate with techniques that I may forget in the coming months/weeks.

Sound complicated but all you need is a usb mic, $50 video software and a google account and you're there. I'm testing it out now to see how useful it might be in the future.

Larry, this is a good idea and this videos become very useful if you need to reference something down the road...it's at your finger tips.  Using videos is how I learned pretty much all the tricks in CA, not to mention this blog, so many helpful tips and tricks. I also subscribed to your Youtube, you have lots of helpful videos and very easy to follow... Thanks for that!

Vids are always good , I still prefer the Jing ones people post ( no dealing with Youtube) but it is a great idea .

Perhaps you should add a link Larry in your 1st Post for easy access .... is that allowed ?  perhaps in your Sig. then.... 

Jing is the free version of SnagIt  and it works well , you get 2GB of storage, but I think Larry Upgraded so he could post to Youtube direct.

https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

Yes, I started with Jing and upgraded to Snagit. Then someone else mentioned uploading directly to YouTube instead of using the TechSmith on line storage and it seemed an easier solution than linking through the TechSmith site. I had to upgrade to the newest Microsoft Frame.net to get it to work and it is indeed really easy to just upload to YouTube. It makes access a little more controllable and different privacy settings can be set for public views and/or client views. Perhaps not ideal for everyone and it will always be YouTube but so far so good.

All my current clients, both homeowners and builders, have LOVED the videos. It is such a valuable tool. I used to send floor plans and RayTraced images but those 4 or 5 images can't convey anywhere near the information that a well narrated video can - and it's fun to explain your design ideas to your clients and they really get it.

Another great use is sending vids to the structural engineer explaining basic construction intent of a new project and it saves countless e-mails and phone conversations.

Not entirely satisfied with my current set-up. I've got a decent Logitech usb mic but static in the audio is the current problem I can't seem to solve. I'm tempted to upgrade everything (dedicated sound card, new mic) to get better audio/videos for client presentations as, again, I'm finding it a very valuable sales and information tool.

EDIT: I downloaded audio drivers for my Mother Board and the static was gone in the last vid I just did for an engineer so hopefully I'm good to go.

If anyone has any specific question please don't hesitate to ask.

Another note  - The videos started chewing up some serious storage when saving to the hard disk. With uploading to You Tube (and this may be true of the ScreenCast/TechSmith site as well) you don't have to save your video to your hard drive, saving valuable space. 

I've learned that You tube wants to see 2 specific screen sizes when it samples and uploads. 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720. If you capture your screen at sizes other than those specific sizes YouTube will somehow downsize your video and the resolution can get downgrade as well. That's why some of the videos have good resolution, others not so much.

Snagit has the ability to set up 'Profiles' where you can specify the screen capture size and other particulars like cursor and sound. I set up 2 profiles, one at 1920 x 1080 and the other 1280 x 720 so each video capture will correspond to what YouTube want to see. So far so good.

HTH