What slows a plan down..... import dxf or dwg

dshall

I was working on a plan.  I imported a DWG file drawn in ACAD.  Not a DXF but a DWG,  I am not sure if it makes a difference.   I am going to trace the DWG  and turn it into a CA file.

I noticed once I imported the DWG file,  a plan save took about 20 seconds,  (plan file is 10.7 MB).  So I quit CA and restarted and now the saves take 2 seconds.

The point is.....  maybe after importing a DWG file,  we must quit CA and restart and maybe it cleans out the memory.  I can not explain the whys,  but this worked for me.

Whether it is a DXF or DWG should not make a difference. There are potentially a number of CAD blocks imported that could take up a fair amount of space depending on their complexity so I wouldn't be surprised if a large amount of memory was used depending on the DXF. This could have an effect on performance in a number of ways.

The difference in the time to save is a bit hard to explain without having the plan or the original DXF to look at. It could be OS level disk caching kicking in making the subsequent save quicker. Or it could be any number of other things. However, the recommendation to quit and relaunch Chief after importing a DXF is not something that I would deduce from your observations. It shouldn't hurt anything to do so.

Your observation may point to a real problem, so if you can reproduce the issue getting the necessary files and steps to do so to our support team would be ideal.

.....Your observation may point to a real problem, so if you can reproduce the issue getting the necessary files and steps to do so to our support team would be ideal.

Doug,  I sent it into Brian.  It is uploading now,  if you guys do not get it,   leet me know and I will send again.