Going Through Invisible Walls

builtright3

When I have an invisible wall and I want to put a regular wall or half wall through it I notice it brakes the wall up or stops and starts each side of the invisible wall. Do I have any options with that? Is there an ignore wall easy button or pass thru wall check box or something?

This sound like a dumb blonde but here my question;

If I draw a wall and then check the invisible box in the dbx it used to change to an invisible wall with a dashed line. With X7 it doesn't do that anymore. The layer doesn't even change. Does anyone know why they even have the invisible check box anymore or am I doing something wrong? I just don't get the whole invisible wall thing anymore and I don't understand the "no locate" (what it is) and why it has a layer. What does it locate and how can you see it? Where is it and what is it and how can you locate it if you don't know what your looking for? Cant find any information that explains it.  :wacko:  :wacko: :wacko:  :wacko:  

The CA X7 Reference Manual explains things in detail. For instance:

A wall placed on a non-default layer and then specified as Invisible, however, will not move to the “Walls, Invisible” layer.

This nugget may explain why a wall isn't changing to the Walls, Invisible layer when you check the tick-box. Also:

If a wall is specified as No Locate in the Wall Specification dialog, it will be ignored by Auto Exterior Dimensions  in floor plan view, as will any doors or windows placed in it.

The CA X7 Reference Manual explains things in detail. For instance:

A wall placed on a non-default layer and then specified as Invisible, however, will not move to the “Walls, Invisible” layer.

This nugget may explain why a wall isn't changing to the Walls, Invisible layer when you check the tick-box. Also:

If a wall is specified as No Locate in the Wall Specification dialog, it will be ignored by Auto Exterior Dimensions  in floor plan view, as will any doors or windows placed in it.

Ok, so I get no locate. But why is there a layer with a color and a line for it?

"invisible wall" feature changed some when "room divider" feature was added

Chief's dbx's have an "odd" mix of settings between the two

there was a thread about this a few months back - maybe even last year

don't remember the "nuances" now

Lew

If I draw a wall and then check the invisible box in the dbx it used to change to an invisible wall with a dashed line. With X7 it doesn't do that anymore. The layer doesn't even change.

If you draw a wall (interior, exterior, foundation etc.) and then open the Wall Specification dbx and check "Invisible" on the General Tab that wall will display as dashed lines in plan (no layers, no color). Moreover, that wall will be placed on the "Walls, Invisible" layer (see attached). The only time it would not be placed on the "Wall, Invisible" layer would be in the situation that Robert pointed out.

If you are not getting those results, something is amiss. Do you want to post this plan?

post-571-0-37245200-1434463105_thumb.jpg

If you draw a wall (interior, exterior, foundation etc.) and then open the Wall Specification dbx and check "Invisible" on the General Tab that wall will display as dashed lines in plan (no layers, no color). Moreover, that wall will be placed on the "Walls, Invisible" layer (see attached). The only time it would not be placed on the "Wall, Invisible" layer would be in the situation that Robert pointed out.

If you are not getting those results, something is amiss. Do you want to post this plan?

I don't want to post the plan because someone might steel all my great ideas and sell them and then I might loose $$$ because of it! Ha Ha :)  :)  :) Like I'm Joe the Great or something. Just kidding.

You solved my problem! Thank you!

The reason the wall would not change to invisible is because I set my interior and exterior walls on there own layers so it wasn't the normal wall layer. Seeing how I only change interior wall to indivisible at times I will put my interior walls on the normal wall layer.