Garage height keeps changing

sranwrap

Hi I was hoping someone can help me with this...

Every time I add a second floor to my project my garage walls default to the height of my main floor. I have attached a couple pictures to show what happens. I have also attached the look I am trying to achieve.

Hope someone can help.

post-911-0-32166000-1396126813_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-89126500-1396126822_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-99475900-1396126868_thumb.jpg

looks to me like your garage floor height could be at "0" when it should be "-?" a minus number. If it is, try hitting F12. Check your floor heights in each room or you can post the plan to find out exactly what's wrong. I always draw my walls 1st and second then adjust floor

heights, working from the top down, using floor defaults DBX or set these up before drawing them.

I haven't looked at your plan file, but it appears you have a room above your garage.  Take a look at the floor immediately above your garage and drag the walls around. 

If you select the option to derive your second floor exterior walls from the first floor "footprint" when creating the new floor, Chief will automatically extend your garage walls to the second floor.

If Chief is doing somethiing with your room elevations, just select the garage "room", open the room dbx, and alter the ceiling elevations there. 

I've used this program for a very long time starting with CA version 8 and nothing makes me feel more stupid than trying to figure out your problem. I downloaded your plan and couldn't figure it out.To this day I do not understand the structure dbx and I'm guessing I never will. That either means I really am stupid or the structure dbx is evil. Hopefully those who are smarter will assist.

looks to me like your garage floor height could be at "0" when it should be "-?" a minus number. If it is, try hitting F12. Check your floor heights in each room or you can post the plan to find out exactly what's wrong. I always draw my walls 1st and second then adjust floor

heights, working from the top down, using floor defaults DBX or set these up before drawing them.

'Working from the top down'...  I'm thinking this may be 'key' to getting everything right...  Not sure why, but this method seems to work better for me, especially when there are multiple rooms above a lower space...  I can't pin it down and feel like "HumbleChief"  sometimes... I've been using CA since 1998 and tend to agree that the structure dbx is indeed infested by demons... ;)

Maybe you can elaborate on this Perry...

Scott, watched your video, nice...

BTW, his handle is 'sranwrap' not 'saranwrap'  :P Not sure he wants to be associated with a plastic wrap product!!!

Thanks everyone.

mgabriel - I made the second floor by dragging walls but every time I do this and draw a wall over the garage, the garage wall height increases to same height as the first floor.

dshall - sorry I was not more clear on what I ultimately want. If you look at the first picture (the one without the second floor). you notice about two siding panels above the garage doors. the garage wall height is also lower than the first floor of my house. I want this garage wall to stay at this height when I add the second floor. Now if you look at the second picture after I have built my second floor, the garage wall height has increased. Initially (picture one) their were two siding panels above the garage now their are eight (the garage walls have defaulted to the same height as the rest of the main floor.

Ultimately what I want is to lower the walls back to what they were in picture one.

Hope that made sense. I have tried playing with stem walls and floor heights but when I does not change the height of my garage walls.

Thanks for your time on this guys.

I am still confused.  Put a roof on it and it might solve the problem.  If you provide some kind of picture that shows what you want and a picture showing what you need,  we might be able to figure out what you are doing wrong.  I know you provided screen shots,  but I still can't figure out the problem,  sorry.  

Words describing the issue is never as clear as a very good picture of the problem.

Ok. I have attached a couple pictures. The lines represent where I want the walls to be with the second floor complete.I just want the garage wall height dropped with the rest of the structure (house) staying the same.

Does this help dshall?

post-911-0-99792000-1396284394_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-60718200-1396284438_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-84180700-1396284458_thumb.jpg

Ok. I have attached a couple pictures. The lines represent where I want the walls to be with the second floor complete.I just want the garage wall height dropped with the rest of the structure (house) staying the same.

Does this help dshall?

Saran Wrap,   post that plan and I will work with it.  The previous plan you posted is a little different,  it includes a deck.  So post the new  plan and I will show you what you do not understand.

Thanks dshall! The plan with the deck is actually a more completed versions of the plan. That is what it will ultimately look like so if you can show how to change that one it would be a greater help. I have attached my house plan incase it helps.

I am jumping in the middle of this...but I think Scott is looking for the Chief ".plan" file and not the PDF.

Scott. The plan I have posted yesterday at 8:23 pm is the most updated plan with a deck. Can you not use that file? I have posted it again. The pictures I posted were snapped earlier prior to the deck being added. I have progressed with the plan past that...attached is the most updated plan (same as the one posted yesterday).

Aman House2.plan

Scott. The plan I have posted yesterday at 8:23 pm is the most updated plan with a deck. Can you not use that file? I have posted it again. The pictures I posted were snapped earlier prior to the deck being added. I have progressed with the plan past that...attached is the most updated plan (same as the one posted yesterday).

Maybe my bad,  I will work with the one you just posted.

• 2 weeks later...