Grade Beams On Peirs

builtright3

Larry,

You got it - that's exactly what I was going to suggest.

A couple of tips.

1. You can set the default Height Above Floor to offset the height of the footings in relation to the foundation floor level.

No need to move the foundation floor height to place the post/footing.

2. You can use the Hide Terrain Intersected by Building to turn off the display of the terrain within the foundation walls.

Larry,

You got it - that's exactly what I was going to suggest.

A couple of tips.

1. You can set the default Height Above Floor to offset the height of the footings in relation to the foundation floor level.

No need to move the foundation floor height to place the post/footing.

2. You can use the Hide Terrain Intersected by Building to turn off the display of the terrain within the foundation walls.

Nice

Joey,

I'm going to do a video using your technique and post it to my YouTube channel on the public page, that way I'll have something to refer to. Thanks for the technique Joey.

Thank you! I will take that as a compliment. Soooo much to learn

Just send me the royalty check! :)

What's 50% of "0"?

I just wanted to clarify something, if doing a pier in the crawl space,etc the top of the footing is always under the slab? Do you guys keep top of the footing above basement or crawl space floor?

I know the only time the top of the footing would be exposed above is on exterior only, like deck, etc where you would want to keep the post connection with a footing above the ground.

...IMO Chief should make this easy for everyone...

I agree Perry, like a radio button you can choose if the foundation is a 'room' like a full basement or a 'crawl space' (or whatever term describes it best) then when you click the crawl space button you get different choices that include grade height, pier footing height, height of stem wall etc. Having the foundation crawl space be a 'room', with a ceiling etc. in all situations is so so confusing.

I just wanted to clarify something, if doing a pier in the crawl space,etc the top of the footing is always under the slab? Do you guys keep top of the footing above basement or crawl space floor?

I know the only time the top of the footing would be exposed above is on exterior only, like deck, etc where you would want to keep the post connection with a footing above the ground.

I don't understand the first part of your question Greg. With a pier in the crawl space, where is the slab? The footing for the outer perimeter foundation would usually be at or under the basement or crawl space floor but the posts resting on the pier footings need to be clear of the dirt by the 8" (varies by jurisdiction) suggested by Joey.

I don't understand the first part of your question Greg. With a pier in the crawl space, where is the slab? The footing for the outer perimeter foundation would usually be at or under the basement or crawl space floor but the posts resting on the pier footings need to be clear of the dirt by the 8" (varies by jurisdiction) suggested by Joey.

Hey Larry, What I meant to say we never use wood posts. We use concrete lally column which is rests on top of the footing and when slab is poured, the column is embedded in concrete or we just come up with the block and beam is right on top of that. Footing is always bellow the slab, with that said I guess its the same thing just not use to seeing wood posts supporting anything in the basement or crawlspace... dahhhh me, its Monday I don't know what the hell I was trying to say when I asked that.  

P.S Larry let me know please when you put that video on your page, I subscribed you on youtube, I will add that to favorites.

Thanks!

This vids for you Joey......

http://youtu.be/_KvReHNcm5I

I really appreciate the video.

Most of my jobs are on fairly level ground and the grade in the foundation area is typically about 12" (give or take) lower that the outside grade so your method wont work for me. However I'm now wondering if the grade inside the foundation area can be different than the rest of the grade around the house. If not maybe CA can add that as we have spoken in earlier post.