Grade Beams On Peirs

builtright3

Let me tell you what I am trying to do;

I want to edit the default settings for the post with footing tool under the general framing tools. I edited one of them manually in the section and that is in the attached picture with the circle around it. But I cant seem to get what I want as a default when I place them under the girder beam.

HELP!

post-2478-0-39959100-1434228829_thumb.png

post-2478-0-87642000-1434228840_thumb.png

Joey,

It looks like the post footing is defaulting to the height of the foundation room. Check/change the floor height of the foundation room and see if the post heights don't follow.

Also your dbx is showing a 'grade beam on piers' but your foundation is built with stem walls.

Sorry I don't know how to get just the link to show instead of the entire screen shot of the You Tube Vid.

&rel=0

Post 1:   AFAIK   Max Separation = Max Span  but I have not used this often as not common here but you are talking about two different things here , Posts under Beams and Foundations using grade beams and Piers.

Post 2:  The Top of the Post Footing defaults to the Setting in the Post Defaults in the Building Framing DBX and the default is usually (Zero)  0" above Floor though the setting can also be negative if needed , if there is no "floor" I think it defaults to the top of the Footing , so to raise it up just put a + value in the height above floor box for Post Footings. 

M.

AFAIK   Max Separation = Max Span  but I have not used this often as not common here but you are talking about two different things here , Posts under Beams and Foundations using grade beams and Piers.

The Top of the Post Footing defaults to the Setting in the Post Defaults in the Building Framing DBX and the default is usually (Zero)  0" above Floor though the setting can also be negative if needed , if there is no "floor" I think it defaults to the top of the Footing , so to raise it up just put a + value in the height above floor box for Post Footings. 

M.

Yes that is why I posted the second question because I figured that part out.

Thank You

Yes that is why I posted the second question because I figured that part out.

Thank You

ahhhhh, I didn't figure that out from your posts...hence two part answer but Larry looks as confused as me  :) about what you said and what your pics show.

Joey,

You're using the grade beam and piers dbx but you're picture shows that you're building with a stem wall. The posts will sit at the bottom of the 'floor' height of the foundation room.

If you want to build with post and beam foundation (not grade beam and piers) build a stem wall foundation and manually place your beams, posts and post footings. Again set the floor of your foundation room to place the post and footings at that same height.

&rel=0

Joey,

You're using the grade beam and piers dbx but you're picture shows that you're building with a stem wall. The posts will sit at the bottom of the 'floor' height of the foundation room.

If you want to build with post and beam foundation (not grade beam and piers) build a stem wall foundation and manually place your beams, posts and post footings. Again set the floor of your foundation room to place the post and footings at that same height.

&rel=0

Larry you helped me a lot. Check out this video

http://screencast.com/t/quqjdcyYYrlL

Also here is a picture below with my final result. Just what I was after.

post-2478-0-81300700-1434238741_thumb.png

Joey,

I think what is happening is this:

If you have a level zero (foundation) with Floor Under This Room checked (ie, the foundation has a floor) - Chief measures Height Above Floor from top of footing to top of foundation floor. 

If you have level zero with Floor Under This Room unchecked (ie, no foundation floor) - Chief measures Height Above Floor from top of footing to  bottom of foundation floor - even though there is no visible floor.

Joey, this is how I've shown pier & beam years ago in 3D. We don't show this in 3d in our plans. We only show plan views with call-outs and cad details for the call-outs in our construction drawings. In the image I show, the piers and interior beams were done manually. Floor framing and perimeter beams were created using Chief walls and floor framing. If you're interested in how I did this, then call or email me. The image was done a long time ago using V10 or X1. I guess it would work the same way. I haven't done it in a long time.  

post-66-0-04327500-1434249072_thumb.jpg

Joey,

I think what is happening is this:

If you have a level zero (foundation) with Floor Under This Room checked (ie, the foundation has a floor) - Chief measures Height Above Floor from top of footing to top of foundation floor.

If you have level zero with Floor Under This Room unchecked (ie, no foundation floor) - Chief measures Height Above Floor from top of footing to bottom of foundation floor - even though there is no visible floor.

I think I'm more confused now. Your welcome to do a video for me to explain it.

Joey, this is how I've shown pier & beam years ago in 3D. We don't show this in 3d in our plans. We only show plan views with call-outs and cad details for the call-outs in our construction drawings. In the image I show, the piers and interior beams were done manually. Floor framing and perimeter beams were created using Chief walls and floor framing. If you're interested in how I did this, then call or email me. The image was done a long time ago using V10 or X1. I guess it would work the same way. I haven't done it in a long time.

Pier & Beam 6.jpg

What I sent on the picture is what I wanted to do. Got it figured out.

Thank you and I look forward to our next goto meeting.

Joey,

This may help with the confusion regarding top of footing height.

http://screencast.com/t/MQLFXlaE

Thank You Glenn,

I wonder if their way of thinking was that without the 4" thick floor that it would be figured from grade level? There may be a purpose for doing it that way that may affect another part of the program. As long as I understand it and it works that's all that matters at this time. I have a lot better understanding of foundations now though.

Very helpful Glenn

I'm with you on this foundation dbx. I think I get it all figured out and something else comes up to confuse me. But you and Glenn have both helped me to better under stand it.

I think the biggest thing is understanding what floor you need to be on when you are making changes. Also understanding where you need to be making changes to what I call now "The Big Three" (floor, foundation & framing) in your defaults.

Another think that is confusing at time is in the "Room Specification" dbx under the floor section. The three items in the attached picture.

With that said, all these things have to work together and has to be done in a certain sequence or it wont work. Too much for my little pea brain to remember so I might have to start writing things down,

post-2478-0-07993600-1434298396_thumb.png

As we all know the pier tops need to be 8" above the grade line, yet no grade line ever, at least where we want it. I really wish chief could show us a grade line at the correct height we want it. Right now I just manually draw 1 pier block it and copy exactly where I want it shown, then unblock it or it won't show in 3d. or section/ elevation views. also manually draw in each grade line.

Perry & Joey,

The grade line is controlled by the Terrain Specification, not the floor heights - which makes sense to me.

You can set the grade line to whatever you want using the terrain tools.

The Elevation Region is the one to use if you want a level building pad at a set height.

Perry & Joey,

The grade line is controlled by the Terrain Specification, not the floor heights - which makes sense to me.

The Elevation Region is the one to use if you want a level building pad at a set height.

I agree and is what I do.

Perry & Joey,

I agree and is what I do.

The terrain is set for elevation around the outside of the building. What I am talking about is what's on the inside of the foundation walls or room. I think you are miss understanding what I am trying to do here. The grade within the foundation room is what I am trying to control independent of the terrain.

Perry, do you agree?

Perry & Joey,

I understand that but I only want the grade to show in the underfloor area not everywhere. I usually have my grade lines at 200 line weight. The sections look bad  but the elevations look great showing the grade on. I still have to draw my own I guess.