3Ds Export Limitation.

antoine

yes mark. i have a complex full of desks and things over 23 thousand+ sq m

there are lots of symbols. would be good if CA could give us some direction of how to pin point things better

no jon, that's just plain CA 3D text, with not a lot of size to it.

i have a building that has about 70 desk furniture symbol block and other things.

the thing here is that we are limited in size to do what we want.

our limits need to be upgraded. 

CA uses instancing for symbols, so unless each desk is over 62K vertices and slightly different from one instance to the next...

The software is telling you what the offending object/symbol is--"SBC Entran".   Remove it.  Or, model the text in SketchUp and import something a bit less complex.

Contrary to Mark's statement, there are more than a few symbols within the CA libs that exceed to 62K vertex limit, and will choke the system when trying to export 3ds.  I imagine the 3D text you're using is one of those symbols.

The software library CA uses for 3ds export is old, running on old 3ds standards.  Therefore, the 62,000 vertex limit.  This issue has prompted certain users who model/ray trace elsewhere to ask for an fbx export option from Chief.

Something you may try is dae export and see if that can solve your problem.

jon

jon, this SBC sign is note a symbol. its just plain 3D text from the CA library

pic attached.

but yes you are correct when saying that the software is telling me what the offending object/symbol is--"SBC Entran".

cheers mate

post-486-0-69726500-1434279753_thumb.jpg

ok guys, 

jon, the only thing i had to do with the sign was to un-block it, then it got rid of the problem.

found another problem which i took out, and now have got my 3Ds for a holographic model.

now whats interesting is that i imported my 3Ds project into CA X6 (on test) of which i didn't realize before. (CA X7 to CA X6)

and works great guys, though it is a symbol form and i can't change anything, but great for other model ideas.

we have learnt something guys.

have a great evening my side of the world and a great day on the west side of the world

.have fun

ok  mate, but i'm still looking into the idea, and will do something in the weeks coming.

i might go to Europe and go to a company dealing with it, and see how its done, (that a new deal for me)

will keep you guys posted. 

have fun

I still beg for a proper fbx export option. Collada (aka .dae) was a good step, but only optimized for Lumion, not 3D Max; 3ds file format will always have this vertex limitation (also 3D Max doesn't accept my CA generated .3ds files, saying "improper file format"), the only safe option .vrml format triangulates the surfaces, so i'm really tired of problems that Chief cause in my workflow. That was one of the main reasons that i didn't renew my subscription for the first time.

Chief seniors tend to say "We can't focus on each 3rd party software you use" despite the fact that integration is everything.

• Upvote 1

Ozgur, have you tried exporting out to Blender as either 3DS or DAE and then exporting from there to a format that will work for you in 3D Max?

I have found Blender's file exchanges to be pretty good so far for my uses, but I agree that CA's workflow could be a lot better when one is using other programs.

Antoine

Check out Otoy for upcomming 3D Holographic products. There is quite a bit of info online, and they claim to be very close to releasing a free beta version of their offerings in this arena. There are serveral new products under developement that will be compatible with version 3.0 of Octane Render. From what I understand the target dates are this summer and for the betas and later on this year for 3.0.

thanks for info guys.

i'm new to this holographic deal, so i'm check things out on line first.

but i want to see it physically before i buy what ever, but i want something soon for presentations.

Dubai is close to me and cheaper than most places. Singapore also not so far from me. 

but i have i connection with Europe and go there quite often,

so these are my options of where to look and were to buy.

has anyone else used holographic boards for presentation?

has anyone else used 3D printers for presentation?

my SSA license is due next month and i'm wondering if it is worth renewing or not.

i like CA, but they are not coming through with what i think are the important issues. 

• 1 year later...

Hey Buz,

I regularly run into the vertex max issue....first thing after a new release is I try to see if it has been fixed....since X4.  I haven't seen any movement in that area.  Me thinks that the squeaky wheel will get the grease on this and there's simply not enough squealing going on or indeed, it is a difficult issue and the cost to resolve is prohibitive.

As a work around, I usually layer the problem and export as dae into Lumion or vrml into Accutrans3D then convert to xml for use in my workflow.  I save the items in my other software and now simply ignore the modelling in Chief and set the items in my 3rd party software.

It would be REAL nice to have that vertex limit issue solved for sure....I've made numerous personal email attempts to the headshed....but so far to no avail sadly.

I wish I had better news and certainly a better solution for you....

All the best.

hi and sorry Buz, i have been away from it as other things have taken priority. i will have to return down that line later but will have to see how CA X9 will deal with it. though i do not have to-many expectation. 

is your project being done with CA X 9?