Chief Won't Start

joey_martin

I can't get Chief to Start!! X7 has been doing this (Product Activation Window is on the Screen) for about an hour, after waiting about 30 mins to even get to this point. X6 won't start at all. Has there been an update that has caused this? Anyone else?

Windows 8

BTW...I would love to show you a screen capture, but that has stopped working as well. 

Tried System Restore but that doesn't work either.....going to take the dog for a walk before I break something.

My desktop, which is about 3 months old, has become one step above a doorstop. When I can get Chief to run, every move takes about 15 - 20 seconds to complete. I get little to no internet connection most of the time, and on certain days nothing works. I reboot and everything seems ok for a while. Today it took 2 reboots and 15 mins to get Chief up and running and in the time it takes to type this, I can maybe change a bathtub to a shower....maybe....if I'm lucky and say pretty please...

Everything was fine until about 10 days ago. I came into the office and there was a message that windows had updated. Now, for the better part of decade I turned off auto updates because of bad experiences with them. The tech guys that sold me this computer said that I should always leave them on and let windows update for me. Well, I did...and now flashback to the bad experiences. 

Joey,

Here is a backup program that I use. Acronis true image. This program allows me to backup/clone a working disk drive to another drive. If the stuff hits the fan then I can put in a cd ,reboot my system from the cd. then restore the disk drive in the matter of minutes. No software keys or re-registering needed. The same program can also be used for installing a new disk drive. In fact many SSD disk drives us a version of this software to clone the existing drive to the ssd.

Unfortunately it can not help if you do not have a backup.