Rough Opening As Door Label?

simonas

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

Hi everyone,

is it possible to specify door label as rough opening, not door size?

I's much more common to show rough door openings in architectural plan, and not door size without framing.

I don't understand why automatic door label is door size without frame? Is it standard in US?

If you go into door defaults under framing you can specify the r.o. for each side, and top, they when you set your defaults for your door schedule add the r.o. to your schedule and they will show, if you get a door that is different just set it in that door dbx

I think only if you set a door to the r.o. that you want that door to be in the door label ten copy that door where you ant it, then if you have a differnt door you have to set that label and copy that one

Simonas,

Put the attached macro in your Door Labels.  Ideally, it should be in the Door Default Label so that new doors will automatically have that Label.

BTW, the macro is set to round both the width and height to 2 decimal places.  If you don't want any decimal places - just edit the macro so that the round(2) is round(0).

Door_RO.zip

In answer to the other question, yes, it would be non standard in my experience to see the rough opening as the dimension indicator on the plan. This would be due to a change in window manufacturer in the bidding process could require a new set of R.O.'s. It is safer to give the direction to where the window goes and then allow for the minor adjustment. This is why windows are often dimensioned at the centers

Alan,

You are 100% correct for wood frame construction. 

However, for masonry and concrete construction it is quite common to dimension the rough opening. 

It then becomes the Door & Window suppliers that have to verify the sizes that will fit.  Hopefully the Schedule will show the correct sizes and the RO's are correct in the first place as well as as-built.

I need to show in plan view either rough door opening of door size with frame included, non of these is possible. It's only door size without a frame which is really strange...why would you show door panel size in architectural drawings?

You guys work with Chief for decades... didn't you find this strange? Who needs this door panel size? Architects, builders, interior designers or even owner is not interested in this dimension at all.

The only person who will have advantage of this number is door producer. Everyone else wants to know door size (frame included) or door opening gap.

Simonas,

Most of us use a Door Schedule which includes the Door Size, the Frame Thickness and the RO Size.  This provides the required information to all the trades & suppliers.  Personally, I use the Callout for the Label so they all have to refer to the Schedule to get the information they need.

I need to show in plan view either rough door opening of door size with frame included, non of these is possible. It's only door size without a frame which is really strange...why would you show door panel size in architectural drawings?

You guys work with Chief for decades... didn't you find this strange? Who needs this door panel size? Architects, builders, interior designers or even owner is not interested in this dimension at all.

The only person who will have advantage of this number is door producer. Everyone else wants to know door size (frame included) or door opening gap.

I've never shown door labels like you want them, but each to their own. It would be nice if you could do it your way if you wanted.

Perry that's what I was suggesting but he wants the R.O. to show on the print at the door as a label from what I am understanding

Thanks, I now get it. Skimmed his post too quickly. Sometimes I do that.

Because that is the Industry Standard in many parts of the World , any Builder knows to just Frame the RO to the next door size up so the one spec'd will fit in the RO. ie an 810mm Door's   RO is 860mm .   Doing Masonry walls it may well be different though.

• 6 years later...
On 6/7/2015 at 12:47 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

Simonas,

Put the attached macro in your Door Labels.  Ideally, it should be in the Door Default Label so that new doors will automatically have that Label.

BTW, the macro is set to round both the width and height to 2 decimal places.  If you don't want any decimal places - just edit the macro so that the round(2) is round(0).

Door_RO.zip 319 B · 140 downloads

Joe, I realize this is an old thread, but how do I access the macro information within the JSON file that is in this zip file you provided? I'd like to use it and I'm not sure how to open or import it into Chief.  thanks.

It should be noted that in the latest couple releases we can simply enter the desired code right there in the label much of the time.  In this case, the following should do the trick:

%width+(rough_opening_side*2)% x %height+rough_opening_bottom+rough_opening_top%

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

It should be noted that in the latest couple releases we can simply enter the desired code right there in the label much of the time.  In this case, the following should do the trick:

%width+(rough_opening_side*2)% x %height+rough_opening_bottom+rough_opening_top%

What's the proper format for X15? I loved this formula and it doesn't work now.

Thank you