Can I Paint The Inside Of A Cabinet?

SusanC

Hi,

I have a white cabinet with glass doors and would like to paint the inside a different color.  I tried using a polyline solid, but couldn't get it to read through the glass. Does anyone know if there is a way to paint the inside of a cabinet a different color from the outside?

Thanks!

Susan

Not directly. The interior finish is the same as the box finish in the Cabinet DBX for materials. You could float in thin panels to cover the interior surface, use shelves and partitions. Then paint these the interior color. An alternative would be to make the box color the interior color and then clad the box sides with thin panels say 1/16" and paint these the exterior finish.

Graham

In addition to my above suggestions you could also use the Sides/Back finish in the Cabinet DBX to apply side panels to the cabinet. Use a slab and set the thickness to 1/16". It's like applying a skin panel. Make the box material the interior color and set the panel color to the exterior finish. For the top & bottom just float a thin shelf to the underside and top.

Graham

Susan - what do you mean you couldn't get it to read through the glass?

Seems to work OK.

Dennis,  you painted the door and not the cabinet.

Seriously guys,  if you have a solution,  post a small plan so everybody can evaluate whether you were successful.  I could of seen an additional 10 posts trying to figure out whether you had been successful or not.  Please,  post examples of solutions guys.

I agree with Scott.  Dennis' example is misleading because he used a full overlay door and didn't show a view of the sides or top of the cabinet.  If the door wasn't a full overlay you would see the cabinet face as the same material as the interior.

So here's a pic of my solution.

The Cabinet, Door, Molding and Shelf materials are all set in the Cabinet dbx.  I added a thin PSolid inside the Cabinet (Red) to hide the back interior face of the cabinet.  You have to make sure it's far enough away from the wall so the cabinet back isn't in front of the PSolid.

If you look closely at the inside right corner of the cabinet you will see that the PSolid doesn't quite cover all of the cabinet back - I was a little sloppy ;)

Sorry Scott - no Plan but the pic speaks for itself in this case.

post-47-0-83118100-1433511683_thumb.jpg

Cabinet inside a cabinet?...

I attached my plan for fear of getting chewed out.

You can see what I did on it.

Great idea,  works wells.  What would be better is if we could control the material thickness of that inside cabinet....  i.e. make it out of 1/16" thick material.....  it is essentially a melamine or paint finish that we are looking for on inside of cabinet.  Nice idea using the double cabs.

Since it is very common to have a different color/material for the Face Frame of Cabinets than the interior - it would be appropriate for there to be a separate material selection for the Face Frame.  There was another thread where the "Back Material" was also suggested so that it could be "Transparent".

This would be a good thing to put in "Suggestions"

So here's a pic of my solution.

The Cabinet, Door, Molding and Shelf materials are all set in the Cabinet dbx.  I added a thin PSolid inside the Cabinet (Red) to hide the back interior face of the cabinet.  You have to make sure it's far enough away from the wall so the cabinet back isn't in front of the PSolid.

If you look closely at the inside right corner of the cabinet you will see that the PSolid doesn't quite cover all of the cabinet back - I was a little sloppy ;)

Sorry Scott - no Plan but the pic speaks for itself in this case.

I think Jonathan solution works better if you want all interior finishes to be of one material.

I think Jonathan solution works better if you want all interior finishes to be of one material.

If is the key word. 

In the long run, separate materials for:

Face Frame

Interior Sides

Back

Interior Top & Bottom

would provide the ultimate flexibility.

Here's another pic - I just manipulated the PSolid a little to cover the interior sides.  The next one uses a open front box symbol positioned inside the cabinet.  I just created a 3D Box, exploded it and deleted the front face.  Then I converted that to a Symbol.  It can be adjusted to any needed size.

post-47-0-34106000-1433513564_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-09712700-1433514502_thumb.jpg

Here is a "Cabinet Liner Symbol".  It can be sized and positioned as needed.

Generally, it should be:

width:  Cabinet Width - 1-5/8"

height:  Cabinet Width - 3-14"

depth:  Cabinet Depth - 1-5/8"

Position should be 1" from back of cabinet, centered side to side and top to bottom.

Good solution.......

I think Jonathank's solution is the easiest but would do it a little differently myslef (plan attached per Mr. D Scott Hall's request).

1.  Build cabinet

2.  Copy/paste in place

3.  Open the copy and...

a. Subtract 1/8" from width, depth, and height

b. Set height off floor to 1/16" higher than it already was

c. Uncheck "Include in schedule"

d. Change door to an opening

e. Change the number of shelves to zero 

f.  suppress the label

g.  change the cabinet material as desired

4. Center the modified copy on the main copy in plan view (in both directions)

Not sure why, but plan won't upload.  Keep getting "Error 302" so here's the Dropbox link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cijltnv28e2pwe/Cabinet%20painting.plan?dl=0

I think Jonathank's solution is the easiest but would do it a little differently myslef (plan attached per Mr. D Scott Hall's request).

1.  Build cabinet

2.  Copy/paste in place

3.  Open the copy and...

f.  suppress the label

Not sure why, but plan won't upload.  Keep getting "Error 302" so here's the Dropbox link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cijltnv28e2pwe/Cabinet%20painting.plan?dl=0

Nice Michael....  I just hate trying to put something in place...  i.e. Jonathan and Joe;'s methods,  you method already puts the cabinet in the correct location,  just a matter of resizing.....  also,  when I copied that extra cabinet....  I would put it on the the CABINET UPPER INSIDE FINISH LAYER.......  I wonder if I could of made the layer name longer.....

It would be nice if there was  a radio button to control inside color on or off, like same radio button option is used  to select door glass . Right now I been using abstract glass and if anyone requests clear glass, just make a notation "matching interior".

Here is a "Cabinet Liner Symbol".  It can be sized and positioned as needed.

Generally, it should be:

width:  Cabinet Width - 1 5/8"

height:  Cabinet Width - 3 1/4"

depth:  Cabinet Depth - 1 5/8"

Position should be 1" from back of cabinet, centered side to side and top to bottom.

I found an interesting thing about this.  I can block the Cabinet and the Liner together and add it to the Library.  When I place it in the Plan I have both already placed together as a block.  To resize you have to select & tab but that's pretty simple.

Nice Michael....  I just hate trying to put something in place...  i.e. Jonathan and Joe;'s methods,  you method already puts the cabinet in the correct location,  just a matter of resizing.....  also,  when I copied that extra cabinet....  I would put it on the the CABINET UPPER INSIDE FINISH LAYER.......  I wonder if I could of made the layer name longer.....

Scott,

By doing it once (positioning that is) and blocking it it can be added to the library - retaining the definition as a cabinet and a geometric shape.  Resizing can be done by selecting and tabbing to the individual components.

The biggest advantage to this solution is that it only adds 5 faces to the Plan.  Using a Cabinet for the Liner adds a minimum of 24 faces but that could go even higher.  Another problem with using a Cabinet as Michael outlined is that you would also need to make it Frameless so that the inside cabinet won't show if there's no Door(s) on the outside cabinet.  There is also the depth issue because you wouldn't want the "liner" to cover the Face Frame at top and bottom.  It's really just the box that would be "lined".

post-47-0-21400200-1433525633_thumb.jpg

1.  Build cabinet

2.  Copy/paste in place

3.  Open the copy and...

f.  suppress the label

For the record...this is exactly what I did to get the cabinet placed correctly.

I just did it roughly, so I didn't get the exact sizing correct. I assumed that most people were smart enough to adjust accordingly.