How To...closet Details?

pfschuyler

I'm getting my Chief Architect "legs" and there are two common elements I want to add to a typical full-height closet cabinet.  

1.)Angled shelves for shoes.  

2.)Hanger rods or pull-down rods.  

I realize I could add these elements as independent symbols and manually place them...but that's time consuming.  Is there a way to add common items like these within the cabinet dialog box (for example a custom profile as a shelf option...which could solve both conditions)? 

Paul Schuyler

post-5715-0-76419600-1433460161_thumb.png

post-5715-0-85221900-1433460258_thumb.png

For both, I would an open cabinet with no shelves. Make an angled shelf, might be easiest to do in an elevation using a polyline solid. Control/drag the shelf inside the cabinet. In a back-clip elevation looking at the front, place it at the top or bottom. Select the shelf, and copy it up or down. Could use transform/replicate to copy it too. For the rod for the shoes, use a solid. Control/drag into the cabinet. Copy it as mentioned. This can be done in about 10 minutes.

If you can find a suitable model, as suggested by Jon,  will most likely be your easiest route. Getting an object such as a shelf in Chief to be on an angle is a bit tricky to do. For this you could save a shelf as a symbol and then use the symbol DBX and adjust the angle with the x,y,z rotate options. In camera views you need to aim at the right face of the symbol to get the desired axis rotation handle. Once you have the shelf properly sloped you can then just float it into an open cabinet that the auto shelving has be set to Manual Zero shelves.

Graham

There is an angled Shelf and other items like Rods in the Closet Accessories Library>Hardware  and other Items like Cubbies (cubes) in the Cabinet Specialty Storage Library too.

@ Jon ...very nice...

Mick, I could never get the angled shelf to insert automatically using any of the cabinet "Front" settings or the library insert.  Guess I'm too lazy as I realize (as I'm typing this) that all I need to do is make a copy and adjust the Y offset.  D'oh!

jon