Cooktop/rangetops And Custom Counters

Keith_A

Go to solution Solved by TheKitchenAbode,

Been working on a Kitchen Design and I have a custom counter in play and when I add a Cooktop or Rangetop to it the appliance sits at the top of the cabinet and not at the top of the counter. I have tried adjusting settings but I can't seem to manipulate it. Do I need to break the top instead of having it continuous? I thought of that but then the back side looks horrible. Any ideas? Thanks

post-2469-0-08494300-1433368371_thumb.jpg

post-2469-0-53616800-1433368376_thumb.png

post-2469-0-08942300-1433368384_thumb.jpg

post-2469-0-64428800-1433368392_thumb.png

• Solution

I think you have the counter top height in the cabinet DBX set to zero. Change it back to 1 1/2" and set the cabinet box height as if it would be with the counter top included.

The appliances are positioned according to the box height + the counter height in the Cabinet DBX. Your custom counter will still be correct as it will just cover over the underlying cabinet one.

Graham

• Upvote 2

I tried both solutions and they both worked, the problem was the Cabinets countertop height was set to zero due to the custom countertop. So changing it back worked, and the offset also worked as work around. 

Thank you both

...Your custom counter will still be correct as it will just cover over the underlying cabinet one.

Relatively minor detail, but just for the sake of clarity and proper understanding of how the program functions, a custom countertop doesn't actually "cover over" the automatically created cabinet countertop.  It replaces the original top entirely.  If you create a custom countertop on one cabinet and drag it to cover the next, once you reach about the halfway point of the adjacent cabinet, it's original countertop will be deleted.

Michael - You bring up an interesting point concerning how Chief actually deals with a custom countertop in conjunction with an existing countertop defined in the cabinet DBX as the two interact with each other. I used the term cover up because the specs for the cabinet DBX countertop are applied to the custom top such as backsplash height and appliance/insertion height. It's like it's there but we just can't see it. I'm just theorizing here but I believe the two are there and what you see is determined by the overlapping. Can run a test to see, extend a custom counter top across three cabinets, then for the center cabinet increase the height of the cabinet DBX counter top height say 2" greater than the custom top. Does it project through? If so can one be a different material than the other. If so then it seems that they coexist. Will try this later today.

Graham

...Can run a test to see, extend a custom counter top across three cabinets, then for the center cabinet increase the height of the cabinet DBX counter top height say 2" greater than the custom top. Does it project through? If so can one be a different material than the other. If so then it seems that they coexist...

Graham

I think what you'll find is that the taller cabinet will simply push the countertop upward (may depend on bumping/pushing settings?).  The only time I believe countertops will coexist is when a custom top is overlapping an automatic top by less then about half of the cabinet width.

I think what you'll find is that the taller cabinet will simply push the countertop upward (may depend on bumping/pushing settings?).  The only time I believe countertops will coexist is when a custom top is overlapping an automatic top by less then about half of the cabinet width.

I just played with this a bit. Yes as you noted, the two will only coexist when the overlap is less than 1/2 of the cabinet width. If I changed the countertop height on one of the boxes then the custom counter automatically adjusted to this new thickness over all of the cabinets. Same goes for the backsplash height, seems to default to the cabinet with the greatest height. You can get the countertop below to punch through but the custom top needs to be a certain distance above the cabinet box, not very practical but kind of interesting, guess the custom countertop must be within a certain proximity to the cabinet below before it automatically kicks in.

However, if you want to control both then just use a slab or polyline solid for the custom countertop. Then the cabinet countertop below can be thickened to just punch right through.

Graham

No it doesn't.  Its a bit of an annoyance.

Just ran a schedule. That just doesn't make any sense. The cabinet box height should be the overall height - countertop thickness. Also, the countertop thickness does not show in the schedule, even when using a custom counter top. Seems like this would be a very easy fix.

Graham

Just ran a schedule. That just doesn't make any sense. The cabinet box height should be the overall height - countertop thickness. Also, the countertop thickness does not show in the schedule, even when using a custom counter top. Seems like this would be a very easy fix.

Graham

Agreed.