Can Anyone Recommend The Chief "pay-Per-View Webinars" And "on-Demand" Training That Cost $33 Each?

Fun2Learn

Hi Folks. Can anyone recommend (or warn against) any of the Chief Architect "pay- per- view webinars" and "on-demand" training videos? They cost about $33 each for SSA members. (I am disappointed that they aren't free for SSA members!) If you already know the basics of Chief and have watched all the free to SSA member videos, do you think they worth the time and money?  I am looking for an inexpensive way to learn how to draw/model more complicated or more custom details,structures/interiors, etc. in Chief. Which ones are worth the money and which aren't?

I have another part-time job, and I haven't had much time to "play around" with Chief lately, trying to figure this out on my own, and have gotten frustrated with trying to learn this on my own.  I CANNOT afford the more expensive training courses, tutoring, etc. Heck, I am not even in back in the architecture /drafting business yet, so there is not "company expense account" or even "tax deduction" I could use.

I am an "old-school" former architect who knows how to hand-draft, who wants to get back into some aspect of the business, after being a stay-at-home mom for twenty years. It is very frustrating to spend hours trying to get chief to do something that I could do with a pencil in 5 minutes!!!

Thanks for any advice on these Webinars.

For $33 its probably worth it to try one and see if it helps you.  Although I will say i somewhat agree that SSA should include more services/etc.  Right now I can't imagine what someone that already knows CA in-and-out would find useful about SSA.

Updates, the option to participate in beta testing, free tech support, and Library items.

But, I do agree that the instructional material could stand to cover a few key subjects at a more advanced level.

But, I do agree that the instructional material could stand to cover a few key subjects at a more advanced level.

I agree, too! I am trying to find out if those pay-per-view instructional videos/webinars are just more of the "basics" or if it would really help me move from beyond the basics to more advanced customization, etc. For instance, this fall  I tried to get help with a particularly tricky sloped ceiling over a stair (it formed the floor of a closet above) and couldn't get any info anywhere within the "freebie" resources (I even asked online here, but it is a very confusing, existing situation). When I called SSA, they told me I should pay for an expensive personal tutor! I was not happy, to say the least.

For $33 its probably worth it to try one and see if it helps you. Although I will say i somewhat agree that SSA should include more services/etc. Right now I can't imagine what someone that already knows CA in-and-out would find useful about SSA.

Like Rod said...Priority technical support, upgrades to newest version, and bonus libraries (the latter 2 being my main reasons for keeping current).

I tried to get help with a particularly tricky sloped ceiling over a stair (it formed the floor of a closet above) and couldn't get any info anywhere within the "freebie" resources (I even asked online here, but it is a very confusing, existing situation)...

Really? You included the plan and asked the relevant questions and the forum help couldn't get it remedied? Sorry but I'm not buying it.

Try again, post the plan, and don't give up and don't go away when it gets crazy making and someone here WILL get it solved. I can't remember a situation that wasn't resolved here in some form. This is an amazing resource but you have to hang in there and keep trying.

Personally, I like Scott Harris's (free) How-to Design videos done as part of the example projects in the Samples Gallery. They aren't on a specific topic area, but they cover a lot of topics very well, and have some interesting tips, too.

Interesting,  if his vids stand for you,  would you mind sharing the 3 best tips you got from Scott Harris.....  BTW,  he is one of my golfing buddies when we get together,  and no,  I can't beat him either.

I'm still trying to figure out how he hit a 310 yard drive on a par 4 when he played with dsh and me a couple of months ago, all the way to the back of the green.   

Yeah,  I remember that,  I think a squirrel picked up the ball and carried it back there.

I agree, too! I am trying to find out if those pay-per-view instructional videos/webinars are just more of the "basics" or if it would really help me move from beyond the basics to more advanced customization, etc. For instance, this fall  I tried to get help with a particularly tricky sloped ceiling over a stair (it formed the floor of a closet above) and couldn't get any info anywhere within the "freebie" resources (I even asked online here, but it is a very confusing, existing situation). When I called SSA, they told me I should pay for an expensive personal tutor! I was not happy, to say the least.

That is the "Company Line" that employees must tow. I do not know about any pay per view sites. Chief Tutor.com, D. Scott Hall on You Tube, Chief Experts on You Tube and my You Tube Site and some others are free to view.

DJP

Really? You included the plan and asked the relevant questions and the forum help couldn't get it remedied? Sorry but I'm not buying it.

Try again, post the plan, and don't give up and don't go away when it gets crazy making and someone here WILL get it solved. I can't remember a situation that wasn't resolved here in some form. This is an amazing resource but you have to hang in there and keep trying.

I just used that particular situation as an example of wanting to see some training videos that get into more advanced, complicated situations. I don't want to pay for videos if they are just going to cover more of the basics and "typical" stuff that is easily figured out on your own (or asking a quick question here!).

I have posted many questions here and yes, this forum has been very helpful. However, I still think I could benefit from some in-depth video training (I'm a visual learner!) Again, I just want to know if anyone has seen those pay-per-view videos and if they are worth the $33 and helpful for "beyond the basics" training. I am aware of many of some of the other free videos, and have watched many of them.

In regards to that particular stair situation I mentioned above,(actually it was two stairs underneath each other that each had unusual features and didn't line up exactly with each other ), I would hate to ask/expect someone here to spend a lot of time working on it and it would take quite a bit of time just to explain what was going on with the existing scenario.  I did ask general questions on this forum about sloped ceilings/floors over stairs hoping for a good link to a video or advice as to what tool would work best.  But, HumbleChief, if you have some free time, I may just take you up on the offer and post the plan again later when I feel up to tackling it.   (I did send photos of the existing stair situations and the plan to SSA, and at first a nice young man there (I think he was just a part-timer) was trying to help and even he had troubles with it. Then it got passed off to a lady who didn't even seem to try to help and just told me I needed to pay for their expensive personal tutoring. Maybe I misunderstood what the "support" of SSA is supposed to be about.)

Thanks.

Personally, I like Scott Harris's (free) How-to Design videos done as part of the example projects in the Samples Gallery. They aren't on a specific topic area, but they cover a lot of topics very well, and have some interesting tips, too.

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have thought to look in the samples gallery (I assume you mean on Chief Architect's website?) for instructional type videos. I will check there.

Thanks.

Every user understands the frustration of learning Chief. It can be down right crazy making at times.

'When you feel up to tackling it' I suggest posting your plans and questions anytime to the main forum and you'll most likely get the help you need. That's what I do and try to give back with solutions when I can.

I'd be happy to help but I'm not the sharpest tool in the Chief shed and if I can't figure it out - you must by now know exactly what I would do with the problem - I'd post it here.

Truly hope that helps.

Every user understands the frustration of learning Chief. It can be down right crazy making at times.

Thanks, HumbleChief. This makes me feel better--so I am not the only one, ha, ha!

And thanks for the offer of trying to help look at my plans. I haven't downloaded x7 yet (I need to investigate what all I have to do with existing plans in x6, etc. and it didn't look like x7 had a lot of advantages that I would need right now anyway.) But perhaps if I converted the plans to x7 some things would work better??

But perhaps if I converted the plans to x7 some things would work better??

Some things yes. The 'things' you're working on? Not likely. Only because there's an unwritten law out there that every new improvement will affect everything but what you're needing it for. :blink:  :blink: