I7-5600U Vs I7-4720Hq In 2D

bernie

new notebook time.

dilemma - I love 13inch footprint. but they only come with 2 core processors. 15inch come with 4 core processors.

question:

with only CA running on a windows 64bit notebook, do the amount of cores make a difference to the responsiveness and 'feel' of CA when NOT doing raytracing?

when creating floorplans, doing mostly 2d with mouse (zoom in/out) and some 3d (camera / section views) in .plan files (with all other things being equal - e.g. graphics/ memory motherboard bus speed etc between the 2 the same)

will a i7-5600u (2 cores) 'feel' as fast as a i7-4720hq (4 cores) on CA X17.2.0.69x64 windows version?

eg 13inch thinkpad X1 carbon vs 15inch asus G501 with an i7 (4 core)?

cheers,

Bernie

I am going to be very specific in my response. If you are just comparing the two processors and only working in Chief without running a demanding Raytrace then I doubt if you would be able to detect a difference. Technically the Quad core is faster but unless you are pushing your system it is unlikely that it would be noticeable. 

The two systems you mention are quite different. The Carbon is thin, light and has great battery life. The G51 is more of a gaming type machine and is heavier, thicker, lower battery life but on the other hand it offers a discrete graphics card.

What notebook do you currently have? It may be easier to know this and if it is already doing things to your satisfaction and then base your comparisons against this to gain a better perspective of which type of system would better meet your needs. 

Graham

hi,

current notebook is 2yo sony vaio 13inch 1920x1080 i7 3612 quad core intel4000 with external docking station with 1gb dedicated graphcs.

the intel 4000 wont show shadows in 3D for x6 and x7. x5 was fine. otherwise perfectly fast enough.

this is apparently a driver problem and sony dont allow/provide proprietary driver update. the machine is still got 3 years of support left.

I hardly ever do raytraces which I understand requires the more cores the better.

so I am looking for performance for everyday CA tasks which is 80% 2D xy cad work, and 20% camera /section side elevation views.

I was referring to the new Asus G501. not G51. (G51 old, fat, noisy)

I dont like / want 15 inch - too big unless absolutely have to.

I run external 30inch UHD monitor when in office. use notebook when with clients working in (mostly) 3D

eg will a 13inch apple mac pro or asus ux301 i7 2core 'feel' as fast as a i7 4 core asus G501?

If 13", thin & fast is the main criteria then something like the Carbon X1, Dell XPS 13 or HP Spectra x360 would be good choices. If Lenovo is your preferred brand then the T450s will out perform the Carbon X1 by about 20%. All are available with I7 processors. They all use integrated graphics. They just can't fit a decent discrete card in this size of notebook.

Raytraces will be fine as this uses the main CPU.

If you only run camera views in vector mode without line smoothing then you should have no real problems with 2D & 3D Chief camera manipulations.

You do mention that at the office you use a dock with your Vaio. This has a dedicated graphics card which likely helps when running the external monitor.

However, you may find that the new systems you are looking at with the higher level of integrated graphic chips may perform quite well against the older AMD graphics board in your dock. Also, if you can wait a bit Intel has just launched the 5th gen core chips with 6200 Iris graphics. http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/02/intel-core-cpus-iris-6200-graphics/

Here is a link to a site that does a fairly extensive evaluation on laptops.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-Ultrabook-Review.138033.0.html

Graham

In general the desktop chip will be faster than the mobile version. Laptops, especially in those really thin & light units, have to take into consideration power consumption & heat dissipation so the chips are designed to only run at full GHZ for short bursts, they usually run most of the time a lower clock rates. The gaming laptops and workstation laptops are thicker and heavier to accommodate not just the discrete graphics card but also bigger fans and batteries.

Personally if I was buying another laptop I'd be looking for one with a discrete graphics card and if budget was a consideration I'd likely go for an I5 with a discrete graphics card versus an I7 with only integrated graphics. Keep in mind that the integrated graphics will always be consuming a portion of the I7's power and will still not provide the same graphics capability as the discrete card. I would suspect that the I5 combo would be a very close match or possible beat the I7 integrated system.

Graham