Foundations Using Piers, Bearers And Joists.

glennw

Here is a way to draw what we (here in Oz) call Bearers and joist construction for foundations.

The building of the joists is taken care of by the Build Framing tool.

So this is a technique to build the piers and bearer, and have control over the sizes, spacing, materials, etc.

This will only work on flat sites, so please, please don't reply saying that it's no good because you have a sloping site!

So, let me stress that I am not saying it is the be all and end all for building these, just that it is one way that may help some users under certain circumstances.

http://screencast.com/t/HrCWjb6B

Here is a way to draw what we (he in Oz) call Bearers and joist construction for foundations.

The building of the joists is taken care of by the Build Framing tool.

So this is a technique to build the piers and bearer, and have control over the sizes, spacing, materials, etc.

This will only work on flat sites, so please, please don't reply saying that it's no good because you have a sloping site!

So, let me stress that I am not saying it is the be all and end all for building these, just that it is one way that may help some users under certain circumstances.

http://screencast.com/t/HrCWjb6B

Glenn,  was this another one of your tricky vids where you manipulated the process off screen.  I did see how you created the bearer or how you manipulated shape,  size and spacing of the footings.  Did you watch vid?

I cannot watch the video on my iPad because it requires Adobe Flash Player. Has anyone found a decent app that will do this?

Yep,  I had to wait until I got into office to watch on computer.  I do not think Steve Jobs wanted Adobe Flash Player on his IPADS.

Scott,

Did I give too much away in the vid?

How did I know that you would probably be the one to figure it out! With your in depth knowledge Chief, I thought it wouldn't take you long.  :)

I was mainly playing around with a video technique to step through a process without all the manipulation, clicking, etc, as I only have 5 minutes to do the vid and was sometimes running out of time.

It's sort of like recording a macro.

Perry,

The changes were all done automatically - well, it depends what you mean by automatically.

I just didn't show the opening and closing of dbx's (sorry, dvx's), but the spacings, etc, were all automatic - I didn't do them all individually!

Well not being a CA Guru , I'd appreciate more information or you posting the test plan so I can see what you have done..... thanks glenn.

if dbx = dialog box  what is dvx?

Mick,

I'm not sure what dvx is - you would have to ask dscott.

:)  I see Scott using dvx and always wonder , thought you may know since you used it.

No problem on the Metrics  , I am actually used to them too but don't use often here. 

This is a technique I may need to know sooner than later , which was why I was interested , so Thx for the plan .

Nice Glenn,

Got me thinking a bit more out of the box with railings - just wondering if we might be able to use some kind of railing /slash fencing combo for sloping sites or something that follows the terrain other than juggling around with post and footings or blocking exploding and adjusting stumps and footings  on hillsides   

Nice Glenn,

Got me thinking a bit more out of the box with railings - just wondering if we might be able to use some kind of railing /slash fencing combo for sloping sites or something that follows the terrain other than juggling around with post and footings or blocking exploding and adjusting stumps and footings  on hillsides   

Nick,

Are you aware of the Follow Terrain and Step Terrain settings for railings/fences?

Actually I was wondering , should try it I guess , if the railing was run the other way if it would follow the slope , ie along the slope not across it but I guess it doesn't work as you cant keep the beam level  with a railing correct?

Glen have you figured out a way to get those newels (piers) to go 18" below grade? That would be great if it worked that way.

Perry,

Yep, can do.

Uncheck follow Terrain and the piers then sit on the level zero floor (even if there is no floor), which you can adjust as needed.

You can also use a predefined combination pier/footing symbol from the library (Newels/Posts) if you need to show the concrete footings under the piers. Also works with odd shapes like tapered stumps, etc.

post-106-0-63248800-1433374437_thumb.jpg

Nick,

Are you aware of the Follow Terrain and Step Terrain settings for railings/fences?

Glenn – no hadn’t really played with that – but have now.

Newels follow the terrain no problem but using them as stumps/piles break the rail at each post. I tried using balusters for the stumps and placing a newel on each end which looks OK but the balusters don’t follow the terrain. I also played with post to beam but it still insists on breaking the beam at each newel. I can tell by your video that you must have played around with this, let me know if you have any other ideas on following the terrain with a level bearer. The post with footings give a good look and works best with a beam on top but is a pain to copy or move as the footing don’t seem to update to the terrain once moved. Any thoughts on how to put footings under newels anyone? Ok I can see that last bits been answered....

New Picture (2).bmp

You can do a symbol with a pier and footing for the balusters, but you can't control the height because the footing is part of the baluster and wants to sit on the floor and the foundation wall footing. ie, you can't have a level zero floor below the footing.

It may be possible to do by inserting another floor and building the bearer/piers on that floor and then have the foundation walls/piers under on level zero - but is it really worth the effort?

I'll have a play.

post-106-0-27118200-1433387066_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip Glenn, very nice one.

But I would add a concept that I already said in many topics, use Broken ramps as an independent railing height virtual control platform and enjoy the z freedom irrigardless of floor levels, in this case the ramp it self can be used or if it doesn't solve make rails to follow. Horizontal ramps broken as a polylines can be put to run along with wall perimeter and adjust z.

It solves the other questions related to fencings you don't want them to follow terrains and you don't want them to be limited by platforms or any custom patterns like stepped fences that we actually build to compensate for the falling grades, so that building stepped fence in intervals.

Yusuf,

I'm not sure I follow you 100%.

The Ramp railings don't have as much functionality as a Railing wall - such as auto spacing for the Newels (or ANY spacing for the Newels/Balusters).

Can you post some further information on your suggestions?

Glenn what I mean is, I seen your video you have done a very nice tip that show a horizontal structural member in floor, and you have made it easy to control the spacing of a kind of footings using the rail as your basic tool to manipulate it and just one of the problems arises were the floor level limiting that elements not to pass through the foundation floor, if I am not mistaken some sort of railing z axis is not controllable.

So Glenn If I didn't miss some thing on your proposed concept.

My comment is, just draw a straight ramp some were out of your workspace, open the ramp dbx and make it no railing left and right, again adjust the ramp top and bottom heights to be the same value and in your case the level you want the footings to be(probably you needed it to go some depth bellow level that stops it). Take this ramp strips and align it with your beams and make the rail representing your structural member to follow that ramp and then adjust the top level.

It is just a thought may be I am missing some thing but sure this concept solves some of the number of issues raised here.

Thanks glenn