The Cabinet Electrical Outlet Challenge.....

dshall

Mick, In X7, I didn't have to change any origins. Only in earlier versions as stated.

I am in X7 , but I notice in DJP's vid  that the symbols reacted differently than in his , once I changed them to wall mount .

Mick, remember that you need to change it to place on the wall or yes you'll have to change the origins too in X7. X7 is better than previous versions.

Yes I did after changing them both to wall option, they were both off by half their height as mentioned , but I now suspect I am doing something in a different Order than you , or my initial placement is different perhaps?

post-315-0-59862700-1433130320_thumb.jpg

While double checking just now , more weirdness, all 4 outlets marked Wall Option  "leaped" to the closest Wall when I changed views, think I'll stick to the ones I altered they aren't Crazy , they are still where I placed them  :) ....

post-315-0-52798200-1433130436_thumb.jpg

I tried David's method and if I save the the outlet to the library and try to put back onto the cabinet I get alert that the outlet must be placed on the wall. (maybe it was me).

My method worked pretty good (other then I left some lose outlets on the plan) and I did open the the 2D symbol up to rename it and change its position so it could be seen properly on the 2d plan  but for some reason it didn't take the change and being hectic here in the house on Sunday I didn't bothered to check. I will check to see what happened with that.

DJP 's finding  makes sense of what I found with the CA symbols Scott , So maybe you do owe him lunch  ..... 

you had placed them using the CAD Block , with the "legs" just touching the cabinet side, not with the selection handle aligned/centred with the cabinet side, so opening the symbol and setting it back the thickness off the wall as I (unknowingly) did , ie about 4 " made them look right in 3D too, but switch them to Wall Mounted per DJP and then make sure the selection handle is centred on the cabinet side. seems to correct it, setting them to Wall mount means they reference a wall however , though I don't' know if that is an  issue ?  the symbols also need their X.Y or Z axis's modified too, to get them to placed at the height to centred set in the Object's DBX accurately, see my plan below for those notes  if wanted.

here is the plan , I made some notes on the saved elevation

attachicon.gifBBB SCOTTS CABINET ELEC OUTLET CHALLENGE 1_Mick.plan

*** I see Mark has discovered  a  Wall Referenced issue above

No lynch for   Mick.  See picture.

post-50-0-12136800-1433158992_thumb.png

The lunch has not been awarded yet.  I have a feeling there will be no winners.  

The task is to be able to copy an outlet and paste it on all four sides of an island,  and for it to look good in 2D and 3D.

Isn't that what happens when we put an outlet on all 4 walls of a room?  It looks good in 2D and 3D?

I do  not  understand why the folks at headquarters can not give us (2) outlets,  one horizontal and one vertical,  that we can paste on the side of an island.  I have not done a kitchen in the last 20 years that does not have an island.  This is not a rare circumstance.  Every one of my jobs has an island that needs electrical outlets.

The only difference I see so far (I think) is that I used the horizontal cabinet outlet.

Tommy,  I have not seen a plan of yours that solves the  problem.  I know you plan on explaining how to do it in your workshop tonight,  but for those of us unable to attend,  would it be possible for you to post a plan tomorrow with outlets that work.  

I don't even care if I know how to do it,  if I can copy your outlets and put in my plan I will be one happy camper and I will take you out to a wonderful lunch of your choice.

Tommy,  I have not seen a plan of yours that solves the  problem.  I know you plan on explaining how to do it in your workshop tonight,  but for those of us unable to attend,  would it be possible for you to post a plan tomorrow with outlets that work.  

I don't even care if I know how to do it,  if I can copy your outlets and put in my plan I will be one happy camper and I will take you out to a wonderful lunch of your choice.

Scott, what we are doing is a workaround because it DOESN"T WORK straight out of the library. If you use David's method which I believe is the best, you have to place each outlet separately in the plan. As you know, copying doesn't work. This and other things have not worked correctly since I can remember. What I'm going to show tonight is how to make it work. You won't be missing anything on this topic.

Scott, what we are doing is a workaround because it DOESN"T WORK straight out of the library. If you use David's method which I believe is the best, you have to place each outlet separately in the plan. As you know, copying doesn't work. This and other things have not worked correctly since I can remember. What I'm going to show tonight is how to make it work. You won't be missing anything on this topic.

Thanks Tommy,  I have been doing the workaround for 10 years.  I am simply trying to get CA to fix  something that should of been fixed 10 years ago.  I believe this issue has been reported multiple times by multiple users,  and for it not to be fixed is not good.  I would like to think this is a very very easy fix for the folks at headquarters.  I believe there has been a lot of wasted man hours by not only me,  you,  DJP,  Perry,  New York  Greg,  Mick......  and countless others looking for a good solution,  and we have all failed.

Please  CA,    let's fix this.

In fact if  one of the Gurus at  headquarters fixes this before  the UGM,  I will take him or her out to a lunch of their choice when I visit in Aug-Sept.   It is  that important to me that this gets fixed that I would be willing to fork out countless dollars  (as long as it does not exceed the cost of a Happy Meal),  to get this fixed.

Scott, I too hope this long time problem gets fixed too. I saw that Scott Harris was looking at this thread late last night.

I hope though that they fix the problem with mulled units and the schedules more though. It's a bigger issue for me. If your not careful, it can get you in trouble with builders in the construction docs. See link for that thread.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5150-schedules-and-mulled-windows/

No lynch for   Mick.  See picture.

Have another try, they work fine for me , I think  golfing holidays are making you lazy :), you haven't rotated any of them properly or aligned the cad block tails to the cabinet side , if you haven't noticed ? Cabinet outlets do not automagically find the cabinet like wall outlets do.

Cabinet Outlets Plan.plan

.....ou haven't rotated any of them properly or aligned the cad block tails to the cabinet side , if you haven't noticed ? Cabinet outlets do not automagically find the cabinet like wall outlets do.

Yes,  I understand that,  I suppose my question is why don't they behave correctly.  What the heck is a cabinet outlet if they do not automagically align correctly and look good in 3D.

Mick,  I have been using these crappy cabinet outlets for 10 years,  and by heck and by golly they work for me if I fuss with them....  I don't want to fuss with them anymore and I bet CA does not want us to fuss with them anymore.  Please CA,  just fix them already.

We have all noticed the power users who have piped in and commented that they have sent this in to be fixed innumerable times...  let's just fix this for us lazy golfers who no longer want to fuss with them.

Thank you.  I have retired from participating in this thread.

I hope you guys all feel bad,  I was really  planning on a nice lunch for the winner.

I feel bad for those who need outlets to look good on an island in 3D.

I have a gfci outlet symbol I made from a CAD drawing that I place in plan view on the island. It doesn't even have a 3D symbol attached. No problem and I've never had a client even whisper about there not being an outlet visible in 3D. To each their own of course and I hope CA fixes it for those care.

I need the 3D more than the plan view.

Scott said:

I have not done a kitchen in the last 20 years that does not have an island.  This is not a rare circumstance.

I did 3 last year without em but they say that 75% of American women want an island...

5 want Tahiti, a few will take Manhatten and one from NJ wants Australia...

Do you guys really need the island outlets to be just right in your 3D island views? Curious.

20 years ago I rarely did cabinet elevations,  10 years ago I did not do 3D renderings...  

To answer your question,  no I do not have to have them,  do I want them?  Yes,  why wouldn't I.

has it been an issue to date?  No.  But if we want to be able to communicate to the homeowner and the cabinet guy and the electrician...  somewhere down the line we need to have a dialog in regards to how the electrical outlets get laid out.  Are they vertical or horizontal etc.  I am sure Mark The Cabinet Guy has to deal with this.  I am assuming he would like this.

Larry,  for the last 250 years we have not had them,  I suppose we can go another 40 years without locating  outlets in islands in 3D.

I have no idea why the Cabinet Outlets don't automagically find the Cabinets , you'd think a no-brainer but that is on CA's end , that is not something I can fix , maybe they can ? maybe they can't ? and that 's why they are the way they are ? Still ,the Modeller got Lazy and should of done what I did so they would of at least worked properly in there Current Form.

@ Mark ...I like that line too :)

and make sure you change the X,Y,Z, origins to 0" for each or they don't set to the height to center set in the Objects DBX.

at least I had to do this as they set at  1 1/2" high and 2 1/2" high for the Vertical one. ( ie height is really set to Bottom of object)  , when you click on them in elevation views you see the bounding box is in the wrong place which is what alerted me to this. Not sure if I have the Latest Catalogue items though?  (MEP got a update a while back but nothing tonight , just checked)

The only difference I see so far (I think) is that I used the horizontal cabinet outlet.

see above Tommy , for me the horizontal was 1 1/2" off too.