The Cabinet Electrical Outlet Challenge.....

dshall

Okay guys,  I have included the plan.  You do  to have to do anything except to open the plan and manipulate the electrical outlet on the base cabinet so it looks good in plan and elevation and 3D.  As you can see in the picture,  the electrical outlets are several inches away from the face of the base cabinet.  For you folks down under,  that would be 1 cm from face of cabinet.

The first person who can post a plan with the corrected electrical symbol that I can then save and put in my library wins a No Expense Paid trip to wonderful San Diego.

You will be eligible to spend all of your money to get to this wonderful city,  you will be eligible to spend your own money on your accommodations,  the penalty you will incur will be a Lunch Paid by Yours Truly.

Good Luck to all contestants.

BBB SCOTTS CABINET ELEC OUTLET CHALLENGE 1.plan.zip

post-50-0-57284200-1433087964_thumb.png

Scott,

Just drag the symbol until the X shows on your cabinet face line. No need for new symbol.

Jerry,  if you want to win the No Expense Paid Prize,  a plan must be posted with the fix.

In fact,  if you reply without a plan proving your point,  .....  well let's just say someone may send you to the dog house.

Not a pro but will give it a shot ... Should I bring my kayak? LOL

Now,  one of the reasons the judges required a plan to determine a winner is for this very reason.  If you look at New York Greg's solution,  I think you will agree with our judges that New York Greg does not win the No Expense Paid  Vacation to San Diego.

Whilst the 3D view looks great,  I think many of us will not approve of the plan view.

P.S......  I just saw the Kayak reference.....  lol......  a private joke amongst the workshop attendees.

post-50-0-03838600-1433089957_thumb.png

Now that I think of it,  I think we should extend this contest to the gurus at CA.  I am sure  they can solve this issue in about 5.68 minutes.  I wish someone had asked them to do this about 10 years ago.

Now that I think of it,  I think we should extend this contest to the gurus at CA.  I am sure  they can solve this issue in about 5.68 minutes.  I wish someone had asked them to do this about 10 years ago.

I did. At least it doesn't take long to do this...about as much time as placing an outlet on a slab, solid or column.

I did. At least it doesn't take long to do this...about as much time as placing an outlet on a slab, solid or column.

Talk is cheap,  post the plan please.  Is there a problem sharing your solution with the rest of us?

I might go into it later...working today. Quick answer, place outlet in plan where you want it to display, and set height, change offsets. BTW, we into this in depth along time ago. As mentioned, I'll demonstrate this at our User Group Meeting. 

Both Symbols Y Offset needs to be adjusted  4 5/16  for the horizontal and 4 1/8 for the Vertical  , both are set at - 1/8" ? , I'm not sure why they sit on the floor either . when the Modeller could easily have fixed that I believe.. 

NIce easy way to fix them once you have them in plan David.

But if you add that to the library and go to use it you get the "needs a wall" message.

The one I made added to the library and then dragged into plan goes to the floor so you have to reset the height.

If I select the existing one Scott has in place and select replace from library it doesn't go to the floor BUT is turned 90 degrees. Once rotated and moved to the face of the cabinet it looks correct in plan and 3D.

Not sure which is better- place a bunch of outlets in plan and change to wall mounted- think so.

OR place outlets and use replace from library then mess with them

or drag from library and move it off the floor...

DJP 's finding  makes sense of what I found with the CA symbols Scott , So maybe you do owe him lunch  ..... 

you had placed them using the CAD Block , with the "legs" just touching the cabinet side, not with the selection handle aligned/centred with the cabinet side, so opening the symbol and setting it back the thickness off the wall as I (unknowingly) did , ie about 4 " made them look right in 3D too, but switch them to Wall Mounted per DJP and then make sure the selection handle is centred on the cabinet side. seems to correct it, setting them to Wall mount means they reference a wall however , though I don't' know if that is an  issue ?  the symbols also need their X.Y or Z axis's modified too, to get them to placed at the height to centred set in the Object's DBX accurately, see my plan below for those notes  if wanted.

here is the plan , I made some notes on the saved elevation

BBB SCOTTS CABINET ELEC OUTLET CHALLENGE 1_Mick.plan

*** I see Mark has discovered  a  Wall Referenced issue above

I found the same things as you Mark while messing with / altering the CA ones but after some more messing   around I have these two ( Below) you can try.  In plan view you can place them with the "Legs"  of the CAD Block  touching the cabinet line and they should look right in 3D.

Chief automatically alters the smoothing on symbols when resaving them for some reason?  so these are about 45° while the CA Duplex outlet is about 79° , you can alter that on the symbols 3D Tab but I don't mind them like this , little more definition.

Cabinet Outlets.calibz

David, good find about changing it to place on the wall. Didn't think of that....saves time. I ran a test in X5, X6 and X7 to see the differences on how this works. In X5 and X6 you need to change the origin as well. They improved it (probably by accident) in X7. In X7, do as David shows and make it hang on wall and change the height to center.

David, good find about changing it to place on the wall. Didn't think of that....saves time. I ran a test in X5, X6 and X7 to see the differences on how this works. In X5 and X6 you need to change the origin as well. They improved it (probably by accident) in X7. In X7, do as David shows and make it hang on wall and change the height to center.

and make sure you change the X,Y,Z, origins to 0" for each or they don't set to the height to center set in the Objects DBX.

at least I had to do this as they set at  1 1/2" high and 2 1/2" high for the Vertical one. ( ie height is really set to Bottom of object)  , when you click on them in elevation views you see the bounding box is in the wrong place which is what alerted me to this. Not sure if I have the Latest Catalogue items though?  (MEP got a update a while back but nothing tonight , just checked)

and make sure you change the X,Y,Z, origins to 0" for each or they don't set to the height to center set in the Objects DBX.

at least I had to do this as they set at  1 1/2" high and 2 1/2" high for the Vertical one. ( ie height is really set to Bottom of object)  , when you click on them in elevation views you see the bounding box is in the wrong place which is what alerted me to this. Not sure if I have the Latest Catalogue items though?  (MEP got a update a while back but nothing tonight , just checked)

Mick, In X7, I didn't have to change any origins. Only in earlier versions as stated.