How Do I Import Someone Else's Room Planner File?

Cheryl_C_Crane

How do I import someone else's Room Planner file? Must I ask them for their passcode to their Room Planner cloud account? Can they post it to my account without my passcode?

I am looking forward to actually doing this. Huntsville, Alabama, is an extremely techie city. I have a cyber security customer who has fallen in love with Room Planner. He is doing a whole house remodel and has drawn the basic plan in Room Planner. 

Room Planner is a great tool (but clumsy at first) and I think that it will open avenues to skilled CA users. Thanks for your help!

OK. We'll see how things work out. My customer is a Federal cyber-security agent. I've asked him to reset the passcode on the account for me, and will let him know when I've downloaded the file. Hope that he's cool with that.

Please consider moving up the roll-out of the file sharing across accounts, maybe like LockBox? 

I have a restoration contractor who is always asked about making small changes to homes before restoring them. We have talked about him using Room Planner, so that I can import into CA. I'd like for him to supply the measurements as it would save me time and liability. He doesn't want to 'draw the house 2x'. He is using Xactimate estimating software and they have a Mickey Mouse front end drawing program.

Hope that you are actively pursuing Xmate to become their front end. 

Also, with Realtors it would be important to share Room Planner drawings with other Realtors, appraisers, inspectors, tradesmen, etc.

Here's a caveat: have all your defaults set like the project being imported> save as a template> tell CA that this will be the default template> import from Room Planner. I THINK!

I got all tangled up futzing around correcting defaults from a very nice and remarkably complete Room Planner drawing - I could have drawn it in 1/2 the time, but dim's didn't come over.

Maybe it was because the defaults in Room Planner weren't set correctly: ceiling height, cab style and heights, etc. (they were drawn, but didn't import which is consistent with the knowledge base info).

This was a 2 Aleve headache - but, I'm sure that we are on the verge of having a wonderful new input device for CA.

I just up-graded my iPad so now I can try Room Planner as maybe a tool for measuring, if it goes quickly , thanks for the tips. A good add on would be a recording option. I like to record all my meetings even when I measure, to catch everything and protect my a**.

Perry, I like that idea!

What Scott Harris recommends is to only draw walls and fenestration with Room Planner, then import. Since we don't want to design in Room Planner, just use it as a front end, this works really well.

I've learned to use the Lieca Bluetooth laser and drop dim's right into Room Planner - SWEET!  

This was the only experience where I have imported someone else's Room Planner file, and my customer just loved it. But, I am now wisened!

I still have to buy that Disto laser but I just wanted to try room planner first. Its a shame b/c I already have a great laser with the camera built in that I paid over 600 for, just no Bluetooth. I actually use the camera all the time in bright sunlight. You don't have to worry about the little dot at 50 feet away and ,where is it. Oh well, time to raise my prices again.