Intermediate Newel

conwaynorth1

For a staircase you would have to drop the newel into the plan as an individual object.  

Then place it in the center of the stairs at the rail and adjust the height off the ground in an elevation view.

set the newel spacing smaller to force an extra one and it will auto center in the railing

I should of been more specific , if you use the Auto Rail on your stairs you will need to do as Mike suggests , however if you turn the Auto rails off and draw your own , and set them to "follow stairs" you can use the Newel Spacing measurement to get your mid - span Newels. CA automagically divides the spaces evenly, end to end , it doesn't actually place newels at the distance input into the DBX. ,just play with the number and watch the preview window till you get what you need.

standard auto rail in pic 1      auto rail on left in pic 2, manual rail on the right

post-315-0-54909400-1432838950_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-59723900-1432838959_thumb.jpg

Turn off the auto railings on the stairs by going to the Newels/Balusters tab and uncheck the railing on the exposed side.

As Mick said, draw a railing where it would go on the stairs and check Follow stairs on the Rail Style tab.  Then adjust your newel spacing in the Newels/Balusters tab.

To get the lower rail, go to the Rail Style tab and check the Raise Bottom Rail/Panel and put in the distance you want from the tread to the bottom rail.

Here's what it should look like in plan view.

post-1204-0-62888000-1432842843_thumb.jpg

Not seeing these options. I'm in X6. I ended up dropping a soffit in as a square newel. What about a lower rail on stairs? Now the balusters go from tread to upper rail instead of lower rail to upper rail.

you missed the Fact you need to    turn the Auto Rails OFF (staircase dbx)   and draw your own with the Straight Railing Tool.