Foundation Vent Symbols

Joe_Carrick

Scott,

Sort of......  One thing to make sure of is that you are on the Foundation Floor when you place them.  The one with the Frame evidently needs it's y origin modified so that it sits where it should relative to the wall.  I may have been playing with that value before I posted the Symbols.  A lot of the appearance and how they fit depends on the Window dbx - these are after all, Window Symbols and are subject to the whims of Chiefs' Windows dbx.

ps:  Once you have the settings right, edit them directly in the Library.

I was wondering when Chief was going to put in more decorative foundation vents - oval maybe...?

Thanks for sharing your vent, it does look better than what's in the library now. :-)

Debra

post-179-0-03737700-1432670877_thumb.jpg

Ok I place it on the foundation level but when I try to move it up to the joists bays, they seem to look odd like Scotts post expanding the sides. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I really want them to show on the foundation level

OK Perry, in your case I assume you are using the "Foundation Vent - Screened".

Set the Symbol y origin to 1".

Place the Symbol in the 1st Floor Plan

Set the Top Height above Floor to -2"

If that doesn't get it for you - at least post a pic and the Symbol dbx.

or you could post the plan.  ;)

My question is why not use a window in lieu of the symbol.  What is the advantage?  If the vent is called  louvered, you can have separate schedules for foundation vents and windows.

Scott,

A Louvered Window is not the same as a Louvered Vent - and it's definitely not the same as a Screened Vent.  What if you actually want to have a Louvered Window.  I realize those are generally not permitted today - at least not here in SoCal - but they are in some places.

Then you would have the problem of it probably showing up in the Vent Schedule.

In order to utilize the macro that I provided there needs to be a way to identify that the object is in fact a Vent.  The type_name attribute for Windows is the most logical way to do that.  There are other possibilities but none that is quite as simple.  That macro can even be placed in the Default Window Label and all new Vents will be accumulated - but other Window Types will not be effected (ie: Their Labels will not be changed and they won't be counted as Vents for calculation of the Total Vent Area.)

OK, Then Place them in the Stem Walls (Plan View).  That way they show on the Foundation Plan rather than the 1st Floor Plan.  You can set the height to whatever you need.  If you have a goofy looking hole where the vent isn't supposed to be - Rebuild 3D.