Which Drive To Keep Plan Files On

MarkMc

Go to solution Solved by Bill_Emery,

I had an issue with a plan in X7 and sent in to tech support. Of course they can't reproduce the crash but did sent me a message stating that

but I did notice that your original save path is to the D: drive. Maybe try working on a copy of the file from the local C: drive and see what happens.

My C drive is an SSD , I have my Cheif Data files there. But I keep all documents on the D drive. I'd never heard this could be an issue.

Do you keep you document files on the C drive?

I have the OS and Chief on the C drive, and plan and layout files in the D drive with no problems.

Same here.  I haven't had an issue.  I keep all CA Program files on C: and all Plan & Layout files on a different drive that syncs with my OneDrive so I can access it from any computer I am at (Home, work, church, etc.).

Looks like their suggestion was to try a single plan on the C drive as a test just to see what happens.

It's not uncommon, if you are having trouble to try something new and observe the results to see if the problem can be narrowed down to an actual cause.

Looks like their suggestion was to try a single plan on the C drive as a test just to see what happens.

It's not uncommon, if you are having trouble to try something new and observe the results to see if the problem can be narrowed down to an actual cause.

I understand the idea of isolating a problem. Just found it odd since I keep all plan and layout files on D typically with no problems from any program.

I have had occasional issues/crashes with X7 but find it hard to imagine it is the drive, as I said only occasional now. When I do get one I can get several in a row even after closing, rebooting etc. I knew they would not be able to reproduce the crash- I can't.

Just talking with my new associate and he managed a crash over the weekend with copy paste in place/reflect about object- which has been one of the more consistent bugaboos for me.

Thanks All.

Yes. Plan and layout files go in the dropbox so that I can work on them anywhere and have everything updated as needed. I also keep all my client folders in the Dropbox as well. Everything I need to run my office is in the dropbox. Goes with me everywhere...PC's, IPad, Phone...etc.

I had the copy / paste crash over the weekend too and I have

OS and Chief on C:\  (SSD)

Chief Data Folder is in My Documents as usual but under Win7  I have moved all my Libraries off C:\ to D: and E:\ etc

Have you checked D:\ Drive Mark ?  as in the HD maybe going bad perhaps

It depends on how much room you have on what drive.

I have 3 different system:

2 of them have relatively small C drives and very large D drives.  On those 2 I have everything on the C drive except my Projects.

On the other system I have a very large C drive so I have everything on that drive.

I don't see a problem with having files on a drive different than the OS.

Be careful when using network or removable drives. If they get disconnected at a critical time that could cause problems.

Also, drive failure can affect just a single file. If so other operations in other software or other files may work fine.

Copy Paste operations can fail due to software, hardware, or OS problems. They can be difficult to diagnose. It is true we have had our share of copy paste problems in Chief. I have also seen copy paste problems that were due to reasons such as hardware, third party software (such as anti-virus software), malware or viruses.

I would encourage you to continue to work with support to attempt to isolate the problem.

I keep CA Libs in the default Program Data folder on C, Executable on D, CA Data on E, Plans/layout on F, and archived stuff on W.  C, D, E, & F are SSD drives with E & F used exclusively for local copies of cloud systems.  F is local OneDrive storage configured as batch update 

W-Z are 7200rpm HDD in NAS.  The only issue I've ever has is Adobe Creative Cloud local storage on E, but that was an Adobe issue.

jon

• 4 months later...

Yes. Plan and layout files go in the dropbox so that I can work on them anywhere and have everything updated as needed. I also keep all my client folders in the Dropbox as well. Everything I need to run my office is in the dropbox. Goes with me everywhere...PC's, IPad, Phone...etc.

Joey,

I have been using my USB removable drive to take plans back and forth from home PC to business PC, but have run into a bit of lag when using the save button now on the windows 10 plus X7.  I know I shouldn't be using the USB removable drive so much - so I am intrigued about how well dropbox works for you - which pricing plan are you using - the business?

Using Dropbox works, but there are a couple of things to consider:

1.  The Dropbox Folder on your computer(s) should be located on a large enough local drive to accommodate all the files you want synced.  That may mean the "D" drive if your "C" drive isn't big enough.

2.  If you have more than 3 GB of data you will need to upgrade Dropbox (1 TB for $99  per year)

The nice thing is that you only need 1 account no matter how many devices you have.

Current new Dropbox is 2 GB Free.

Invite others to sign up = 500 MB additional (for both you and invitee) up to a max of 16 GB.

I think some new systems come with a Dropbox account with 3GB.  Of course, if you have more email accounts - you could invite "yourself" ;)

I'm not sure how Joey got 54 GB - probably an earlier invitation policy.