Can Chief's Auto Elevations Match This?

AriseDesign

There is always the slight problem with the shadowed views in that they aren't sent to layout as line drawings. ....meaning that they have to go into the viewport as images. They always seem to "pixelate" pretty badly.

Is this how Vector works does it?

This past year I started playing with the very same idea in color. Meaning that I keep a standard view in layout, then send a shadowed image to the same sheet. The image then gets tweaked until it matches up with quarter scale.

So far it works fine. Much nicer looking than regular line drawings.

post-77-0-45058700-1432657473_thumb.jpg

I am not an expert Chief user, in fact, have not done a full project in Chief, I have been using it for concepts and 3d visuals etc. I still do my CDs in Autocad Architecture - Please take a look at the attached file -  This particular client wants the drawings a certain way (specially all exterior elevations with shadows, dark glass, showing all wall materials, grades, etc, etc....> Can Chief generate auto elevations that can match the preciseness, look and style? I mean, I know it can, but will it take too much tweaking (time consuming??)

Thanks for looking

Raul

Arise Design

Well, look at this one. Chief does it in vector view in combination with its visual styles, hopefully I am not stating the obvious.

post-2517-0-81428400-1432660190_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-65133400-1432660211_thumb.jpg

Well, look at this one. Chief does it in vector view in combination with its visual styles, hopefully I am not stating the obvious.

You are not stating the obvious.

How did you get the shaded windows and how did you create the shadows?

There have been many posts detailing how to get the shaded windows and the shadows,  however I think most of us agree it is a bit cumbersome and not auto.  You did not explain how you achieved your results,  did you do it any differently from the other  posters?

Doutone, adjust the dark color black and desaturation 50%, and do "final view with shadows"then send it to layout, again send the vector view to lay out, overlap after scaling. Finally the brightness of the overlapped image is increased up to 40. Then enjoy it, if you lock the picture it is perfect shadowed vector view.

Pretty good work around.  I guess the biggest issue I see besides potential image quality, and the extra time is the ability to edit the elevation of stray lines.

Would still be great to have it built into the vector views automatically without workarounds.

Doutone, adjust the dark color black and desaturation 50%, and do "final view with shadows"then send it to layout, again send the vector view to lay out, overlap after scaling. Finally the brightness of the overlapped image is increased up to 40. Then enjoy it, if you lock the picture it is perfect shadowed vector view.

Good stuff Yusuf,  thanks.  

Thanks Scott, glad if that worked fine for you.

So I  showed my client the attached  pic,  and he chose the one  without the shadows as what he  would rather see.  Why?  Because he is anticipating that his clients will wonder if the stucco is two different colors  (because of the shadows).  We  try to make it look better,  and sometimes we overthink things. 

I like  the shadow/rendered pic,  but the client does not....  so who wins?  The client of  course.

post-50-0-44461200-1432682381_thumb.png

Scott - of course they did, the one with shadows was overdone and the stucco looks dark, too gray. I have learned that I cannot show anything that "suggests" a color to my clients, at least in the preliminary stages

Yusuf says to scale the duo tone image and then place it over the vector elevation. I know this is explained somewhere but I cannot find it. Can someone send me a link or explain how to scale the image on a layout sheet, please?

Why doesn't Chief send a duotone or the other options of an elevation to layout scaled? "Newbie question" but I don't understand the difference of sending the same elevation in vector, duotone, watercolour, etc. to layout.

• Upvote 1

Still playing,  the middle pic done in tech illus..,  I added some plants,  windows shaded and there are shadows.  The shadows are not auto,  there is actually an image on top of the vector view sent to layout.  I thought this was relatively good looking.

Top view is vector only,  middle view is vector with tech ills,  bottom view is duotone and vector.

post-50-0-58465800-1432731490_thumb.png

Larry I was just posting the settings I used, not sure about scale...

Sorry for being so brief. I tried your settings and thought were great but I think the exercise or question on the table is how to get that same great look to scale. I'll check the OP and thanks for the tip.

I'm curious, do other programs create elevations with color/shadows with more ease? Like the OP picture. Are they live?

I always wondered why Chief doesn't have this as a feature and have never heard any noise or inclination to add shadows/color to elevations.