Can Chief's Auto Elevations Match This?

AriseDesign

I'm curious, do other programs create elevations with color/shadows with more ease? Like the OP picture. Are they live?

I always wondered why Chief doesn't have this as a feature and have never heard any noise or inclination to add shadows/color to elevations. 

Oh, there has been noise.

There's been some great demonstrations presented here on applying shadows to elevations. An important consideration as demonstrated by Scotts examples and his client feedback relates to how this effect can be perceived. Adding shadows or any other effect will alter focal points, visual weight and either emphasize or deemphasize particular characteristics of the structure. As with any artistic effect it must be used with a high degree of consideration to these visual impacts so as to ensure an improved design presentation.

Graham

There's been some great demonstrations presented here on applying shadows to elevations. An important consideration as demonstrated by Scotts examples and his client feedback relates to how this effect can be perceived. Adding shadows or any other effect will alter focal points, visual weight and either emphasize or deemphasize particular characteristics of the structure. As with any artistic effect it must be used with a high degree of consideration to these visual impacts so as to ensure an improved design presentation.

Graham

Shadows have always been part of architecture, specially for presentation and concepts - look at antique sketches and drawings - I think having them separates me from being just a drafter - Architecture is Art -

Shadows have always been part of architecture, specially for presentation and concepts - look at antique sketches and drawings - I think having them separates me from being just a drafter - Architecture is Art -

I am in complete agreement with you. I was likely pointing out the obvious but thought it to be important to stress why shadows are such an important part of Architecture. This not only applies to design presentation drawings but also to the finished structure both exterior & interior. They must however be anticipated, used and controlled correctly to ensure they are working for you and not against you.

Graham

https://youtu.be/4FMw8Qu_es4

Here is a short video, the most important point is, that chief's view port in layout for vector elevation is proportional to that of the image when sent one after the other without zooming in or out. So the scaling is made easy here. Sorry about the sound but the yellow pointer talks.

Thanks Yusuf. I had no idea there was a brightness setting for pictures. Very helpful.

Yes, Vectorworks does this. Elevations sent to layout are to scale and can be dimensioned just the same as in plan view.

Chiefs options for elevations are much nicer for clients as screen saves but I would still like them to be scaled and dimensioned on the con. docs. without losing this nice appearance so some extra work is required. I am also finding that I need 2 layouts for a job. One for pretty design drawings and then a final layout after all changes are made for the working drawing. Being new to Chief means there is too much chance of something not being updated in the elevations and sections. I really wish layouts told you when something needs updating without opening and closing each one constantly.

I really wish layouts told you when something needs updating without opening and closing each one constantly.

You and I'm guessing everyone else. I just don't see it on the horizon, which is a shame because Chief has so so much potential in this area. Must be a programming bear.

All CAD changes made in Plan are automatically updated in Layout.  But you have to have the Layout open.  My policy is to open the Layout whenever I open a Plan.  That basically insures that almost everything I do in Plan gets updated in the Layout.

The only problem I know of is Sections and Elevations if the model is changed.  Those have to be opened and saved to update the Layout.

• Upvote 1

All CAD changes made in Plan are updated in Layout.  But you have to have the Layout open.  My policy is to open the Layout whenever I open a Plan.  That basically insures that almost everything I do in Plan gets updated in the Layout.

I know the plan view gets updated upon layout opening but on my layouts the elevations do not update. I must open the elevation and then it only updates when I close the elevation view. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Graham

I know the plan view gets updated upon layout opening but on my layouts the elevations do not update. I must open the elevation and then it only updates when I close the elevation view. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Graham

No, that's the way it works.

Note that I said CAD (lines, arcs, text, dimensions, etc).  IOW, as long as you are just doing labeling, dimensioning, etc in an Elevation or Section View it isn't necessary to "update" the Layout.  OTOH, if you make changes to the model such as moving a Door, Window, Cabinet, Wall, etc then you would need to open any effected Views and save/update Layout.

Thanks Joe.

For myself I would prefer to have a warning/option before things filter through. As Sherry mentioned, just an indicator as to which layout pages are out of sync with the associated plan would be ideal. I can the go in and make sure they are correct before updating.

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't want the Layout updated to match the Plan.  Maybe it would be best if it was a "Preference Setting".  Of course there is always the problem of what the current Render Technique and Options are in use for the Section or Elevation View.  That could be a problem if the same Camera was being used for different views sent to Layout.

If it updated every time you made a change, I'm sure it would slow everything down. I think just doing an update when you are actually working in the layout might be easier on the system. I know in Vectorworks it takes a bit of time and resources to update all the viewports so I just do it when necessary.

For me there are times when I am working on several concept plans for the same project. Will have a layout file and then relink depending upon what I need to send to the client. As you can imagine, things can get a bit mixed up now and then. Need a safety switch just to make sure the wrong thing does not automatically flow through.

Graham

If it updated every time you made a change, I'm sure it would slow everything down. I think just doing an update when you are actually working in the layout might be easier on the system. I know in Vectorworks it takes a bit of time and resources to update all the viewports so I just do it when necessary.

So maybe a "batch" system.  ie:  Update all Section/Elevation Views in the Layout would be nice?

You and I'm guessing everyone else. I just don't see it on the horizon, which is a shame because Chief has so so much potential in this area. Must be a programming bear.

Larry, here is my "funny layout suggestion" to ca programmers. Model and layout in one plan file and tabbed arrangement. Every thing is live! I can't see why this is not possible in their language. It is AutoCAD type layout style. May be helpful to them. Who nows? We have seen a lot easy things they missed to fix!!!!

First off I think there has to be a will to change things and then a method to execute that will. I so wish that the Chief guys would tackle such things because I think they have the imagination and skills to pull of some great things.

I remember when Annotation Sets were just a dream and all I wanted was a way to have text remembered on a Layer Set. Then CA came out Anno Sets and I was blown away with the thought and execution. Not perfect but way beyond expectations.

I think the same thing could be true of the current elevation/live/Layout paradigm. If they decide to tackle it I'm sure it will be very, very cool but I am not sure that decision has been made or when/if it will be.

AND I think some of your suggestions are brilliant Yusuf.

• Upvote 1