Can Chief's Auto Elevations Match This?

AriseDesign

I am not an expert Chief user, in fact, have not done a full project in Chief, I have been using it for concepts and 3d visuals etc. I still do my CDs in Autocad Architecture - Please take a look at the attached file -  This particular client wants the drawings a certain way (specially all exterior elevations with shadows, dark glass, showing all wall materials, grades, etc, etc....> Can Chief generate auto elevations that can match the preciseness, look and style? I mean, I know it can, but will it take too much tweaking (time consuming??)

Thanks for looking

Raul
Arise Design

post-3218-0-25809600-1432604941_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the shadows, have not tried, but the rest is standard.

I do not think sun shadows are easy....  yet....   but the shaded glass is easy if you add a pattern to the glass material.  

We did this exercise many years ago.....  note the door on the left....  see the fill?  Why is it there?  I don't know,  I think it is a bug.

post-50-0-26337600-1432644336_thumb.png

In Chief you would have to add CAD boxes to get the dark glass.

Joey,

Doesn't changing the glass material to say a dark grey or black color do that?

And yes, the problem is the shadow in vector view - it's on the top of my favourite request list.

.....Doesn't changing the glass material to say a dark grey or black color do that?........

I do not think so,  the glass material needs a pattern,  not a change in color....   please correct me if I am wrong.

Glenn,  I am not sure if you remember,  but we did this exercise many years ago.  There was always the issue with a fill showing on the door  (as in my picture above)  if the opening indicators are on.  

I never used this because it slowed my computer down,  however now I do not see a significant degredation of speed.

Scott,

I just posted at the same time.

Not sure what you mean by adding a pattern to the glass material.

I was indicating that all you need to do is add a color on the General panel...Colors...Material. 

And then give it a Material Type of Area - no pattern required.

Although that is what you probably meant.

Glenn,  study this,  the glass needs a PATTERN,  a COLOR does not work,

In this particular plan i did not have a  problem with the fill on the door if the opening indicators were turned on..... I do not understand why in the  picture I  previously posted I had issues with a fill on the door and on this plan I did not.

BBB GLENN SHADING FOLDEER.zip

Scott,

I am not seeing that with the doors.

What sort of door and what sort of material?

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, so I have no hope of remembering that!

Glenn,  I do not believe you sent that to layout,  that is simply a back clip cross section,  see my layout and plan in previous post.

Scott,

I am not seeing that with the doors.

What sort of door and what sort of material?

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, so I have no hope of remembering that!

Glen - on the image you posted the hinge line is on the wrong side....is that a bug?

Glen - on the image you posted the hinge line is on the wrong side....is that a bug?

You must understand that Glenn is from Oz,  they do things a bit differently down there..... it is actually a preference setting...  see  pic....  no bug,  just the way Glenn has it set up.

post-50-0-24000400-1432647497_thumb.png

Glenn,  I do not believe you sent that to layout,  that is simply a back clip cross section,  see my layout and plan in previous post.

Scott,

Yes, I believe that you are correct.

I was working in a coloured cross section and didn't send to layout.

It is all coming back to me now!

Just do an ortho view with shadows and 'technical illustration".   Play with settings...etc.

Not exactly what you are trying to do  (I did not take time to paint windows black...but took me 5 min)

An ortho with shadows combined with an elevation.  If I took a little more time, I could make it nicer.

post-3615-0-87169400-1432650401_thumb.jpg

Justin, that looks good, wish there was a setting to sharpen up the shadows as needed.....Chief has a long way to go in regards to presentation graphics etc

Shadows could be EASY.   Just draw a cad box and put a transparent fill on them.  Should take very little time.

Heck, before chief did it way back, I just used to shadow my own elevations in photoshop.

This was one I did a looong time back.  (probably chief 9.5 I think)  No auto roof function used here.... ;)

post-3615-0-00431700-1432651050_thumb.jpg

I have had success doing presentation elevations with Chief. I havent tried the B/W like in your pic, and I thought you were asking about that elevation as it pertains to construction documents. I use the watercolor option with the line overlay. This was one elevation shot, set the settings to what I like and go.

post-70-0-10325000-1432651068_thumb.jpg

Like Glenn, shadows in vector elevations that I can save and notate are at the top of my feature list as well.  Many of the examples shown are nice, but they are not vector elevations that can be sent to layout at a scale, with notations.  There are ways to get it to work but it rasterizes the elevation into an image and doesn't allow for scaling or editing.

Dark windows via the color of glass chosen or some other better method would also be great.

• Upvote 1

An ortho with shadows combined with an elevation. 

Justin, could explain what you are referring to here? Are you sending different views to layout and then lining them up one on top of the other?

Also, a little later on you and Joey talk about "a watercolor ortho with line overlay and shadows", is this the same procedure?

Thanks

For mine just take an elevation view and change to watercolor. Notice in the dbx there is a checkbox that will add the lines for it. Click that box and set the settings, click the final view with shadows button, and there you go.

Here is another...

post-70-0-86662900-1432655178_thumb.jpg

Like Glenn, shadows in vector elevations that I can save and notate are at the top of my feature list as well.  Many of the examples shown are nice, but they are not vector elevations that can be sent to layout at a scale, with notations.  There are ways to get it to work but it rasterizes the elevation into an image and doesn't allow for scaling or editing.

Dark windows via the color of glass chosen or some other better method would also be great.

Absolutely! Near the top of my list as well. All views/rendering styles should be able to be sent to layout at a scale... and in color if we want (vector views). Glass color and opacity should be easier to control as well.

I can get close to what the OP is after using 'technical illustration', except I can't get the glass to show as black, even adjusting the material color and transparency. Here I adjusted the glass material to be a black general material with 0% transparency, but it did nothing!

post-108-0-67084900-1432655054_thumb.png