Floor Material Region

Nailerman19

I have created a floor material region in a bathroom with a diagonal fill pattern so it will show in plan view.  However it then hides the toilet and vanity.  It is easy enough to edit the region around the rectangular vanity but the toilet is another story.  Any way to have the toilet show over the tile pattern as in real life?

I have created a floor material region in a bathroom with a diagonal fill pattern so it will show in plan view.  However it then hides the toilet and vanity.  It is easy enough to edit the region around the rectangular vanity but the toilet is another story.  Any way to have the toilet show over the tile pattern as in real life?

Great question.  I never noticed this.  This is not good,  this should be fixed.   You might want to send it in to tech and make this a feature request.

I think the fill for the floor material region should be on the same level as the fill for a room.  If you have a fill in a bathroom,  the toilet covers the fill,  the fill does not cover the toilet,  this is good,  however for a floor material region,  the fill covers the toilet,  not good.

Open the Material Region DBX...Line Style>Drawing Group>select the Back Group radio button

You are absolutely correct.....  however,  if you have a fill in the room,  this will not work.  I generally work with a fill in my rooms  (solid white fill),  maybe I may have to rethink my use of rooms fills.

Why do I use room fill?  It goes back to my usage of ref sets......  again,  I must  pick my poison......

....  however if my room fill has 50% transparency,  it might work....  however this might defeat the purpose of using a  room fill........ oh my head is swimming.......

Scott, I never use solid room fills. I put my interior and exterior walls on separate layers so I can shut the interiors down when I need to like for a 2nd floor plan or a site plan. You can now default your walls to any layer you want, so now I don't have to select them, it's automatic with the new wall defaults.

Not an ideal solution, but if for whatever reason you need to have BOTH a room fill and a material region, you can place a CAD block of the toilet in the plan, explode it and clean it up so that all you have is a single closed polyline in the shape of the toilet outline...place that new polyline directly over the top of the toilet, select the material region, click on polyline subtraction, and then click on the toilet CAD outline that was just created (you may have to temporarily move the toilet symbol out of the way in order to select it).  This will cut the shape of the toilet into the material region.

The easy way to do this is to make the floor a polyline solid with fill, using the room polyline tool. Where you would put the floor material region, put another polyline solid, but make this a "hole".  Holes can have fills, too! Then the toilet will block out the polyline solids' fills correctly. I don't know how this will work for the materials list, but will look fine on the plan. For 3D, set the polyline solid to be 1/16" higher than the floor material, and make the floor material what you want to show in the hole.

post-214-0-49331100-1432582358_thumb.jpg

Scott had me intrigued with his comment/observation that with the room fill turned on then the material region CAD object could not be positioned between a fixture such as the toilet and the floor room fill. From what I can deduce it appears that the room fill object is treated similar to an Architectural Object and is therefore in the same Group as the toilet. On the other hand the material region is a CAD Object and as such it is a different group. Chief does not permit dissimilar objects to be moved (positioned) within any group other than it's own. When objects of dissimilar groups are superimposed you can only position one grouping in front of or behind the other grouping.

in Scotts situation the solid white room fill & the toilet are considered to be in the same Group. A grid overlay derived by setting a fill in a Material Region or closed Polyline is a CAD Object and as such it can only be placed either in front of or behind the room fill & toilet Object Group.

There is a way around this if one needs a solid colour background with a grid overlay.

- Room fill "None".

- Make Room Polyline, set fill to background colour.

- Make Room Polyline, set fill to desired hatch. "Check" Transparent Pattern Background.

You can now move the grid and solid background behind the toilet object grouping and everything will wrap properly.

I used the Room Polyline instead of the Floor Material Regions as the Room Polyline is purely CAD based, no need to be concerned about changes to the floor in other views.

Hope this helps,

Graham

post-4793-0-62108800-1432666770_thumb.jpg

Scott had me intrigued with his comment/observation that with the room fill turned on then the material region CAD object could not be positioned between a fixture such as the toilet and the floor room fill. From what I can deduce it appears that the room fill object is treated similar to an Architectural Object and is therefore in the same Group as the toilet. On the other hand the material region is a CAD Object and as such it is a different group. Chief does not permit dissimilar objects to be moved (positioned) within any group other than it's own. When objects of dissimilar groups are superimposed you can only position one grouping in front of or behind the other grouping.

in Scotts situation the solid white room fill & the toilet are considered to be in the same Group. A grid overlay derived by setting a fill in a Material Region or closed Polyline is a CAD Object and as such it can only be placed either in front of or behind the room fill & toilet Object Group.

There is a way around this if one needs a solid colour background with a grid overlay.

- Room fill "None".

- Make Room Polyline, set fill to background colour.

- Make Room Polyline, set fill to desired hatch. "Check" Transparent Pattern Background.

You can now move the grid and solid background behind the toilet object grouping and everything will wrap properly.

I used the Room Polyline instead of the Floor Material Regions as the Room Polyline is purely CAD based, no need to be concerned about changes to the floor in other views.

Hope this helps,

Graham

Graham,  I appreciate you understanding what I was talking about.  Thank you.