Victorian Exterior Wall Detail

Decorationarts

Joey, in this case, it clearly is completely arbitrary, but there ought to be a real estate disclosure that covers this, and the sales price should be adjusted accordingly. If it weren't disclosed, there might be some liability for the non-disclosing parties. Who knows, maybe the real estate agent will end up paying for those wood windows? I think the free market forces should be able to take care of this particular issue, though.

In Houston, if you're buying a house in a Historic District, it is disclosed and you know it. Here, the districts are usually several blocks. There are several Historical Districts. If you are at the end of one of the blocks in the district, then yes the houses on the other side of the street could very well be new modern houses. There have also been times when there is conflict with the Historic District and the City of Houston concerning city codes. It always gets worked out. I know this because I had this problem once when I was a contractor. After a long fight, the city field inspector told us how to get around it and make it all work. Some city codes don't apply in the Historical Districts.

Joey - IF that house is historical, then I'm Peter Pan. They have GOT to be kidding!<br />My house was built in stages through MANY years. Original around 1740, Trinity style,<br />(forged nails) then additions in the 1800's machined mails, then a large part in 1972<br />and a sun room I added in 1986. Thank God it was never put on the historical register.<br />IN this area I think you have to be able to see the juncture of historical versus non when<br />adding on. Not sure what other things are required and don't want to know.<br />We also hang our laundry out for solar and wind drying which I bet all the advocates for<br />alternative energy could not handle. Preserve me from all those busy bodies who want to<br />run other peoples lives.

Now this other home I'm working on is clearly historical. But the owners knew what they were getting in to and so there are no issues. We are going to build a pergola off the back deck over the garage and of course it will have to match the other materials.

post-2478-0-64713600-1432476387_thumb.png

Tommy, I guess you haven't run into this yet, but it's crazy, and it's nation wide. Historical Districts around here are nuts if you ask me. Don't match the existing house, who would have thought, thank you to our new Secretary of the Interior.

I am not sure I understand this either.  If I am to add on,  I CAN NOT MATCH the existing structure..... seems nutty to me.  The average Joe driving down the street  probably does not care if he can distinguish between original and new,  but I am sure the owner of the house wants the materials to be consistent.

After all,  we are not dealing with the Great Pyramids of   Giza,  we are dealing with a house that is sometimes no older than 40 years.....  

Now this other home I'm working on is clearly historical. But the owners knew what they were getting in to and so there are no issues. We are going to build a pergola off the back deck over the garage and of course it will have to match the other materials.

Joey, how can you match existing materials when clearly the historical district doesn't want you to? The building must look different.

Joey, how can you match existing materials when clearly the historical district doesn't want you to? The building must look different.

Not to sure what you are talking about. All my projects I have to match existing.

Attached pictures show the existing house on the right and the new back side of the garage we build. The materials aren't a perfect match but similar look.

post-2478-0-76023700-1432587706_thumb.png

Not to sure what you are talking about. All my projects I have to match existing.

Attached pictures show the existing house on the right and the new back side of the garage we build. The materials aren't a perfect match but similar look.

It's probably coming to a town near you soon.

Nice work Charlie!

I second that. Nice work and good presentation technique. I, too, offset the additions; not because we "have to" yet, but because it just makes the attachment work much easier as Charlie mentioned. We still try to match the existing (somewhat) when possible. Some of the Historical Commissions are changing though and want the addition different.

Mike