Open Back Cabinet

joestilwell95

I have a client who would like bookcases of varying sized that are open front and back. It's easy to modify the cabinetry to do what I want except... Is there a way to eliminate the back on a cabinet or make an open back cabinet?

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

Would this do the job?

This has all of the functions and properties of a wall cabinet. Just change front doors as usual.

This was done by making the cabinet box material 100% transparency. Added left & right side panels 1/16" to make sides solid. Used molding applied top and bottom to make tops & bottom.

Alternatively you can use the symbol offset origin to place a 5/8" or 3/4" panel flush inside the cabinet boundaries versus using a 1/16" panel applied on the outside. Also shelves can be used to create the top and bottom versus my molding technique.

Graham

Open Back Wall Cabinet.calibz

post-4793-0-25395300-1432315645_thumb.jpg

Joe - was just demonstrating another way as you had already suggested the match front option. Have used this many times. Often however when I am just doing shelving units they area rarely based on 5/8" or 3/4" materials or traditional face framed construction. Need solid 2" - 4" look all around for a more modern/contemporary look. Plan, elevation & renderings must be correct. I am not aware of any other way to achieve this if I want to use the cabinet controls.

Any suggestions?

Graham

Agree Joe - would be great to have full control over every element of a cabinet, including the box construction. Would really like to be able to lock those internal sections so they would not constantly readjust every time I change something. Just making a simple cubby hole wine rack can be a real pain, when the client decides a larger cabinet with 2 more 5 x 5 cubbies are needed. Have to reset everyone one of then again including the separations.

Not sure about your approach but I usually build stuff like this with individual cabinets and then block them.

Graham