Where Is The Default Separation For Frameless Cabinets?

MarkMc

I needed to get a flush bottom on an inset wall cabinet and I know that frameless are flush on the bottom so thought I'd mess with making a frameless inset but discovered that I can't change the sides. They default to 3/4".

I can't find where to change the default separation for the setting of "frameless"-is this accessible somewhere?

In the long run this is an issue since two of my frameless suppliers offer both 3/4" and 5/8" sides depending on box material.

BTW - to make an inset have a flush bottom-change the bottom separation to "blank area"

What you're really looking for if I understand you correctly is control over the box itself. I think this is something we could really make huge use of. Adjustable box panels (all the way to zero) would be immensely useful...both sides and back. Would solve a lot of problems we have with building custom units.

Ok Mark try this.

Framed Cabinet

Inset

Separation "0" in under framed.

Open up the front in the cabinet DBX

Delete the bottom separation

Select "Add New" "Separation" The default "0" should work.

If you just go on a separation and try to change it manually to "0" it reverts to 1/16".

This should give you the look.

Does this help?

Interesting trick Graham, thanks for taking the time. That may be useful in the future.

What I was after was an inset cabinet with a flush finished bottom.I was able to make that happen using "blank area' .It looks correct in 3D. I need a section as well though and it doesn't work properly there so have to clean that up for molding detail.

I first tried using a frameless cabinet. I can set the bottom separation to 1/12" and make it inset BUT there is no control over the sides, they stay at 3/4".

Then tried a trick I've used to show oven cabinet openings narrower than the the other openings on framed cabinets. Split and opening so that it gets extra vertical separations, delete the door section and move the vertical separation over to increase the apparent stile width...didn't work with the frameless cabinets though. The extra separations don't hold.

I just wanted to know if there was somewhere to look for the setting.  Apparently it is not accessible.

Recently had to do half a dozen cabinets with a lot of cubbies/mail slots. Fortunately that changed to 3/4" construction from 5/8" at the last minute. If you change the stiles on a framed cabinet with an opening to 5/8" you get extra lines around the opening. I'd like the frameless setting to be a bit more useful.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation concerning your issue. Think I understand now. Have had similar situations where I need vertical dividers in a cabinet. Say for cookbooks or a tray divider. As I usually only have to do this once in a while I just float a partition(s) into an open cabinet to create the look. Would definitely be much better if we could control all the items that make up the box. As you mentioned in your original post most manufacturers offer both 5/8" & 3/4" box construction, it would be nice if this could be spec'd and shown.

Graham

Hi Mark,

Would this work?

- Framed Cabinet, Inset

- Delete bottom separation (cabinet has no bottom now)

- Moldings, CA-001

- Set molding height to your thickness (example 3/4")

- Set molding width to cabinet depth (example 12)

- From Bottom "On"

- Horizontal Offset - cabinet width (example -12)

You can now control the bottom separation thickness and it will show correctly.

Use Vertical Offset to adjust vertical position within cabinet.

Use width to adjust depth. Can create smaller shelves within cabinet.

Other molding symbols or a custom one may provide more configurations.

Graham

Hi Mark,

Obviously I did not understand your description. Sorry about that. I think the verticals may be controllable so as to get what you want but will need to play a bit more. Getting a solid handle on all these splitting controls & options takes a bit of time need to play around more.

Graham

Interesting idea Graham- I rarely place moldings in the cabinet DBX so didn't occur to me.

It solves the section problem but creates extra lines in elevation. Like many things in CA, there are multiple ways to sort of do it, pick your poison.

A molding Pline would address both issues.

I thought it was interesting enough to try it on another persistent issue-extending doors down to cover lights in frameless- lot of work with too many other problems so will continue to do those as I have in the past. (molding pline and trad. overlay cabinet)

post-85-0-40605300-1432214772_thumb.png

Hi Mark,

May have found the answer. Use a filler. You can change the front configuration the same as a regular cabinet. The advantage is that the box is truly invisible and as such the box lines do not show. Top & bottom can be built with my molding technique as can shelves. If sides are required use a side panel 1/16". Looks like every thing shows properly in all views and you have full control over the inset vertical widths. All dimensioning is correct and bumping & pushing works fine.

Also makes a great backless cabinet.

Give it a try, will just take a few minutes to get the knack of it.

Graham