Need Roof Guru

Paramount

Go to solution Solved by Paramount,

1. Can someone please tell me why my right cable end at top is creating a "V" notch out? The framing looks odd. 

2. The fascia of my round tower has some funky things like birds mouth missing the sill and blocking going through rafters, tapers? 

3. How do I create an energy heel?

4. Can I auto generate trusses? 

5. Every time I build a roof or frame the default layer in my plan changes to add it to the view. How do I turn that off? 

SPEC 1 (curved great).plan

post-5962-0-39774100-1432143389_thumb.jpg

post-5962-0-73184600-1432143401_thumb.jpg

1)The geometry doesn't work. The angle on the opposite side will not allow the planes to meet properly. You can try to manually make it work, but it's not going to look like you want.

2) Round roof planes are tough. A lot of trial and error, but make sure all your walls are properly aligned.

3) In the roof DBX raise the heel off the plate the desired amount.

4) Not likely.

5. Every time I build a roof or frame the default layer in my plan changes to add it to the view. How do I turn that off? 

Say "no" when it asks you if you want to turn that layer on.

If you said "yes" at some point, and checked the "don't ask me again" box, go to Preferences, Reset Options and reset your Message Boxes.

Can I auto generate trusses? 

No, currently the only way trusses come into existence is manually.

Do your roof editing manually, it is easier to do once you get the hang of it. I always auto build roofs and then manually edit that result.

DJP

• Solution

You guys are awesome! Thanks! If it were not for this forum I would get a refund since it takes alot of time to get started, fishing through videos, manuals, training. 

It really helped David showing me out of that situation that you explained well. I learned alot and thanks for the video. 

You know I have 10's of thousands of hours on CATIA modeling and flow simulations I use in aircraft and auto design...this object based and house design is different. Using the CAD tools to modify the roof is more like product design(wireframe, surfaces, sketches-to-pads, etc) I am use to. I went through the manual roof training video, and they said I need to look at the CAD since roof are modified using it, so thats next.

Once again, thanks! I am rethinking that choppy floor plan/roof....not a good place for a noob to start I see.