Floor Plans - Hand Sketch Style

AriseDesign

Played with this a bit more and came up with the idea of selecting by color in Painter and filling with another color for items like walls.  The selection process is very fast and you can set the wall fill color to anything you want in a paint program.  What I don't like about this is how objects such as cabinets and furnishings don't look very good in what is essentially a plan view in a ray trace mode.

What I think would look right is to have a very thin solid that has a material assigned either in place of the symbol, or bet yet incorportated into the symbol on it's own layer so that only that 2D appearing portion of the 3D symbol would show in a raytrace type of view plan view.  CA does not provide this feature currently that I know of, but it could be accomplished fairly easily using using CAD Detail from View to capture the elements, and then using that as a pattern for the thin 3D objects that would be placed on the floor.

There does appear to be some interesting things that can be done by leveraging a CA model into other programs that do have the capabilities that Chief may be lacking.  There are probably also quite a few things that can be done in Chief directly as well.  For myself, it did take a bit of experimenting in other programs to get some ideas going.  But it would be much faster to not have to do all of the file conversions and swapping.  Have a few things I want to try out in Chief some time soon.

Edit:  I think I would like to keep the walls black instead of changing the color, but that option is available.  I do still like the idea of thin 3D symbols, probably White with some sort of raised details might look nice.

post-228-0-82352300-1432230782_thumb.png

post-228-0-55934700-1432232297_thumb.jpg

I believe it does. But you must change the Orthographic Overview to something other than a Vector View (which it generates by default) before the Cross Section Slider becomes available (Standard, Glass House, Duotone etc.). See the first pic.

The second pic is also an Orthographic Overview rendered as Line Drawing, I believe.

Hope this helps.

Ah, right you are, thanks.  Another one of those annoying, niggling little secret handshakes you have to remember in Chief.  Should just work with vector view.

This uses ray trace and lineart produced in CAX7.  The lineart is assigned as an Overlay adjustment layer in Photoshop.  I did try to achieve a similar effect using Watercolor and lineart within CA, but the results were...um...yeah, ok.

jon

post-52-0-43639400-1432241439_thumb.jpg

This doesn't do it for me; it looks sloppy.  There's no substitute for the blend/adjustment layers in PS.

jon

I agree, the first definitely looks better.  It doesn't look like you quite compared apples to apples though.  Your second picture doesn't have shadows and the ray trace/renderings don't appear to have the same settings. 

Took a bit of time to see what was possible.  Nothing fancy, but all done within Chief...

The hardest part is dealing with dimensions.  Without the need for dimensions its much easier.

Michael, care to share with us how you accomplished this? Looks a lot like what I thought the OP was looking for.

Michael, care to share with us how you accomplished this? Looks a lot like what I thought the OP was looking for.

I basically created an orthographic floor overview, used the cross section slider, changed the rendering style to line drawing and then sent that view to layout. 

Then I sent a standard plan view with dimensions to the same layout page, resized and repositioned the line drawing so that it overlapped the normal plan view, and then turned off all layers except dimensions and room labels.

I just picked a text style that looked somewhat hand written. 

It could use some work...One could definitely spend a little more time than I did refining the look (line drawing settings, text and dimensioning, layer settings, etc.) but I think its pretty close to what was requested too.

• 8 years later...

3D>CREATE ORTHOGRAPHIC VIEW>ORTHOGRAPHIC FLOOR OVERVIEW

3D>VIEW DIRECTION>TOP VIEW

3D>RENDERING TECHNIQUES>LINE DRAWING

...adjust the technique options to your liking.

However, this only gets you part way there - there is no cut plane, so you won't see windows and doors.

If you use the Delete Surfaces tool you can get rid of the ceiling and the tops of the walls to show the interior and windows/doors.