What am i doing wrong?

abqjim

You changed the stair balusters and newels to a symbol that doesn't make any sense as a stair baluster or newel.  Basically, stair railings can't do what you want automatically.

The only way I know of to get what you want is to create a manual railing that is set to "panel" with the cable set as the panel type.  Then mark the railing as "follows stairs" and then move it on top of the stairs.  You also need to turn off the automatic stair railings.

• 6 months later...

KilgoreTrout:

> Then mark the railing as "follows stairs" and then move it on top of the stairs

Would you kindly explain where the "follows stairs" option is located?  For some reason I cannot seem to find it anywhere; but maybe it's not available in the old version I'm using (X1).

Thanks so much for your help! :)

I don't think X1 had it.  If it did, it would be right next to the "follow terrain" box.

I don't think there is any good way to solve this in X1.  You could maybe draw your railing on top of terrain created at just the right slope, turn off the terrain, and export it as a symbol.  You could then place the symbol on top of the stairs.