Anyone See This Pdf Anomaly?

HumbleChief

Neither in this case Perry, that's the simple Chief Layout page with a full page pdf imported from the engineer. It will happen with every pdf file that's whole page and sometimes with smaller files as well. It will print fine when I use Chief's pdf printer but this before I print to pdf.

I agree, I would try the genuine adobe acrobat program first.  You may think a graphics shortcoming would first reveal while rendering.  But as pdf files allow relatively small file sizes, they can put a strain on certain components in your PC.  

If that doesn't help, you appear to have a bottleneck somewhere and your graphics card can't keep up with screen refreshes.  If you're running windows, are you 64 bit?  Check task manager while you're manipulating the pdf, and see if you have available RAM (non paged), and see if your hard disk transfer rate is maxed out.  If those check out, then it's probably your graphics card is running out of gas.

If that doesn't help, you appear to have a bottleneck somewhere and your graphics card can't keep up with screen refreshes.  If you're running windows, are you 64 bit?  Check task manager while you're manipulating the pdf, and see if you have available RAM (non paged), and see if your hard disk transfer rate is maxed out.  If those check out, then it's probably your graphics card is running out of gas.

Take a look at Larry's specs in his signature - if his rig (and other fairly powerful rigs) have issues, I think it's either an inherent problem with Chief's method/management of PDF display, or simply that large PDFs tend to render more slowly no matter what. I've noticed that big PDFs tend to bog down no matter if using Chief, Adobe, or a 3rd-party viewer/editor.

I'm obviously a pretty poor communicator and my apologies for that shortcoming. I'll try again.

This pdf was created by another party and I imported it into Chief. I don't have, don't want, have never needed, the original Adobe Acrobat Program and I don't need to create pdf's. This pdf was already created by someone else. It's about a 3 MB sized file. The anomaly isn't unique to this single file, page or instance. It's constant with most every pdf that is embedded into a Layout page.

My signature has my computer specs and I have a hard time thinking that my GTX780 video card is running out of of gas. Possible, but not that likely me thinks.

The PDF display toolkit that we use on Windows has some problems with certain PDFs. I know that some research has been done into trying to fix this issue but I'm not sure of the status.

However, in many of the cases where things are really slow rendering a PDF on Windows the core problem has often been associated with the PDF having pixel based data formats embedded in the document. In many cases these would be much more efficient to import into Chief as PNG or JPG images.

I would recommend contacting our support team with this issue so that your problem is represented in our database.

Doug, when we see this, couldn't we just re-save it in another "PDF" program that works. It would be nice to know which programs are doing this.

I don't think it's that easy. Certainly, as you suggested earlier, reducing the file size of the PDF would probably help, but the trade-off is reduced fidelity for printing. But PDFs store different types of information (fonts, raster data, vector data, etc) and each type affects rendering time.

I've had this problem with PDF's for a very very long time and have just learned to live with it.

Talked to the tech folks a couple times and as helpful as they are there was nothing even coming close to a solution. Was mainly wondering if it was something unique with my system or if others had seen it.

The issue is not the PDFs as they are perfectly well formatted. Size doesn't seem to always be the trigger for this issue.

Unfortunately, the best advice I can give you in this situation is to save the PDF to a PNG at a resolution that is acceptable for printing and then import that.