How To Find An Object Which Is Using A Specific Material?

Cimarien

Usually we can purge unused material, that's normal process. But if I would like to purge an used material, I have to find all objects those are using that material, then change to other material, after change all objects then I can purge.

But if the marerial is used at an invisible, hidden position (for example shelves inside a cabinet) it is very difficult to find it to apply change, is there any easy and faster way to enumerate all objects are using a specific material?

Using the material painter in PLAN mode should change the material of every object in the entire plan that is using the material you are trying to change. Just be sure that "Blend colors with materials" is OFF. I personally put that tool into my top toolbar so I can keep a close eye on that sucker. It's NOT your friend...more like an enemy you need to cooperate and collaborate with once in a blue moon.

Using the material painter in PLAN mode should change the material of every object in the entire plan that is using the material you are trying to change. Just be sure that "Blend colors with materials" is OFF. I personally put that tool into my top toolbar so I can keep a close eye on that sucker. It's NOT your friend...more like an enemy you need to cooperate and collaborate with once in a blue moon.

Wow, thank you very much, I don't know that's such easy, and always struggle with this task for almost 8 years of using CA :)

Or...if you don't want to use the Material Painter and the associated problems it may cause, Chief has a tool to do this.

Go 3D...Materials...Plan Materials. 

Select the material you want to replace and click the ....(drum roll.....) Replace button.

Select a material from the library and it will replace the old material with the new material on every object in the plan that uses the old material.

• Upvote 1

Or...if you don't want to use the Material Painter and the associated problems it may cause, Chief has a tool to do this.

Select the material you want to replace and click the ....(drum roll.....) Replace button.

Select a material from the library and it will replace the old material with the new material on every object in the plan that uses the old material.

It seems this method will change not only every object in the plan, but also the material defaults for these objects. At least that is how it appears to read in the Reference Manual: Yes?

Click the Replace button to replace the selected material with a new one from the library. Materials assigned to objects as well as those set in object defaults dialogs are affected. See Select Library Object Dialog.

It seems this method will change not only every object in the plan, but also the material defaults for these objects. At least that is how it appears to read in the Reference Manual: Yes?

Click the Replace button to replace the selected material with a new one from the library. Materials assigned to objects as well as those set in object defaults dialogs are affected. See Select Library Object Dialog.

MickeyToo,

Yes, not only does it change the materials for the existing roofs, say, but also the default material for future roofs.

This way can select only a material in the main library, but not in plan's materials, so you have to add the material into main library first. But when you apply change, the material will be copy back into plan materials and cause a duplicate of that material, still not be able to reduce the number of item in plan's library

This way can select only a material in the main library, but not in plan's materials, so you have to add the material into main library first. But when you apply change, the material will be copy back into plan materials and cause a duplicate of that material, still not be able to reduce the number of item in plan's library

Ah, then it sounds like you could use the Merge function in the Plan Materials dbx.

This will apply the new material and delete all the replaced materials from the plan materials in one go - no going near the library.

Click the Merge button to merge multiple selected materials into one. The material that is listed first is retained and all other materials in the selection set are deleted. Any instances of the deleted materials in the plan are replaced by the first material. Only available when multiple materials are selected.