The Mysterious Floor Has Rooms That Vary In Heights Dbx

HumbleChief

Hello Larry.  While I am not nearly an expert at CA, interestingly, I too have been struggling with adding a garage today to a home with an existing basement and having all kinds of anomalies with foundation portions of the Mono Slab coming into the adjacent basement.  So, the garage thing was fresh on my mind...

I do know that when adding a garage, there is no need to build a foundation separately if the garage will be on a monolithic slab as you had in your plan.

I took your plan removed the foundation on level 0 and then on level 1 added the foundation information to the garage in the room specification/structure.  While I'm not sure what that message means either, it will no longer be there with level 0 removed.  

I've added the plan and shots back to show you how I manage to build my garages in CA.

I know that this does not necessarily answer your question as to the meaning of the message, but I hope this helps you with moving forward, I know what spending all day on something to no avail is like...

Cheers...

Oh, and, providing my response to your  question just gave me the answer to my all day frustration...  I solved my issue!  Thanks!

vary heights 1.plan

post-5958-0-66409900-1431845102_thumb.png

post-5958-0-48533300-1431845115_thumb.png

Thanks Basil. I actually have no problem with single story structures and can build a garage with a slab without much problem but the issue was earlier in the day with a 3 story structure where that message would appear at random intervals and without any knowledge on my part as to what brought it on or what the cure was.

The interesting part was it happened very early in the default setup stages where there would be a large single room on let's say the third floor. The message was that there were 'rooms' with varying heights but of course there was only one room in this case so the message is inherently confusing with no clear direction on how to remedy the message. I got it fixed as I always do but with much experimentation and changing every parameter I could think of.

Typically when I get that message I usually look for a 'room' that has a different 'height' than others on that floor and that can happen through plan development and is pretty easy to discover and fix. But when I had an entire floor that was only one room, then got the message it stumped me and had really no where to look, similar to the simple garage I posted.

Again the interesting part and the reason I posted the simple garage was that it would occur seemingly at random and when it does I don't always know where to look for the cure.

I'm sure the problem lies within my brain and my inability to understand the intent of the message because the message can't literally be correct as, in my world at least, there can't be 'rooms' with varying heights if there is only one 'room'.

So I'm missing what the message is really saying and that's what I really need help with and I thought the simple garage was a good example to explain that intent.

I searched the web and will again this morning for some more clues and maybe the idea will sink into my thick skull.

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply, I greatly appreciate it.

Larry,

Just a thought;

Have you tried to call CA tec. support yet? Sometimes I call when I don't understand those things. If your a member you pay for that premium support so you should utilize it.

I feel your pain with the Spec.DBX! I wish I had an answer for you. Some how I always make it work and never know why. I will continue to watch and try and help the best I can.

I managed to create my own multi level-floor room which CA actually sees as 2 rooms.  See attached.  

Never-the-less, this message issue has nothing to do with a multi-level room, this message appears in single level rooms as Larry originally pointed out.

I was able to determine in my own plan however that unchecking the following options, makes that cryptic message no longer show and the options are then available again for editing.

On Level 1 - Uncheck "Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below"

-or-

On Level 0 - Uncheck "Room Supplies Floor for the Room Above"

It is important to NOTE that after unchecking these options, you MUST close and reopen the dialog box in order for the message to be removed and for editing options to become available again.  These options do not dynamically affect what is going on in the dbx.

As to why the message is constructed that way and what it actually means?  I still don't know...  But as long as I understand how to make it go away, I'm going to be satisfied with that...   And of course, not using those options will require further foundation and floor and ceiling levels tweaking to get your desired result.  I guess I would now want to know in what type of building scenario those options would be considered as viable...  A porch perhaps? 

#hopefullygettingcloser   ;)

Varying Height Room.plan

post-5958-0-58488900-1431877242_thumb.png

post-5958-0-18977300-1431877255_thumb.png

post-5958-0-56080200-1431877263_thumb.png

post-5958-0-43727700-1431877277_thumb.png

The mind is an amazing thing and mine no less so. I have been reading and re-reading this message over and over again (for almost 15 years) and somehow never REALLY read it.

"Ceiling values may not be changed as the FLOOR above this room has varying heights." Somehow I read 'rooms' into the phrase, but many times a 'floor' will have many rooms which could each have a different floor height. I still wonder how, with a simple single floor, one could get that message other than what you pointed out Basil. I always get it fixed, usually by selecting un-selecting those items you showed but will continue to explore and see if I can truly understand it one day.

The biggest issue is when it appears out of nowhere during plan development as it did the other day. Plan was perfect all defaults set up just right. Sections and all heights perfect then bam, something happens to cause that and the garage ceiling height can't be changed. Check the floor above and can't see any variations in height in any room or the defaults and the games begin.

Appreciate you taking your time to explore this.

Well...  I will say this...  As awesome as CA is, I have noticed many things going on under the hood, and things Do JUST change themselves because of something we do elsewhere without our necessarily knowing or realizing all the potentially impacted things that can go on...  Perhaps more communication from the app would be in line?  But then again, I don't want to be dbx'ed to death either...   :unsure:

Larry, there really should be no foundation or roof under the foundation room spec's. So I would uncheck those. But I really don't have an answer for you , I just ignore the note, and move on. Maybe its b/c there is a stem wall in the defaults, who knows?

I just ignore the note, and move on...

Thank Perry

That's my usual MO as well unless I need/want to change a ceiling height and can't because of that message.

This 3 story house had that message coming and going and I was/am dumbfounded as to why it occurs sometimes. I went to the garage to change heights and couldn't because of that message. Went to the floor above and quadruple checked the floor heights and couldn't find any that 'varied'. Just muscled my way through and I THINK I have it dialed in now but am not sure when it will change again, or why.