Polyline To Circular Driveway

basilbabaa

Why can I not covert a Spline Polyline to a driveway so that it will hug the terrain?  I have tried sidewalk but I get this error about a hole in a Terrain object.  

OR how can I accomplish this more appropriately?  

AND are there any decent thorough video training available on using Polylines in CA?  I am used to working with lines in Illustrator and they make sense, but working with lines in CA simply alludes me as it does not appear to be at all intuitive, such as I can find no way to join line end points to make a contiguous line...

I do not see sufficient detail in working with lines in the available videos on the CA website knowledgebase and have searched for hours.  Any suggestions on how to learn to use and work with lines in CA is greatly appreciated .

post-5958-0-26644000-1431824016_thumb.png

post-5958-0-00298100-1431824026_thumb.png

Sorry Basil, I can't help you. I used Corel Draw for many years and drawing curves, like Illustrator, is simple and very straight forward. I struggle with all the curves in Chief and have no solution for you. There is a drive way spline tool with very limited options and no way I could find to add a node or any other method to make the tool truly useful. Others may be able to lend a hand but I gave up a long time ago and just struggle through the process.

Basil,

To draw a continuous line, wall, whatever, start the tool, right click and drag for the first section, release for end of first section, right click for end of second section....and so on.

Or...Edit...Edit Behaviors... Alternate. You can now use the left mouse button to click and drag continuous lines.

Or...hold the Alt key while clicking with the left mouse button.

As for the driveway.

I don't think that you can create a circular driveway by drawing it back onto itself. ie, you can't connect the end back onto the driveway you are drawing.

You have to draw the outline polyline of the overall shape with cad, convert  it to a road or sidewalk and then create a hole in the middle by using the Create Hole tool which you will find on the Edit toolbar when you select the road.

I think you need to be drawing on top of an already created terrain or you can't draw terrain features.  

Just to show you that it can be done:

post-106-0-39096200-1431848749_thumb.jpg

Sorry Basil, I can't help you. I used Corel Draw for many years and drawing curves, like Illustrator, is simple and very straight forward. I struggle with all the curves in Chief and have no solution for you. There is a drive way spline tool with very limited options and no way I could find to add a node or any other method to make the tool truly useful. Others may be able to lend a hand but I gave up a long time ago and just struggle through the process.

It was indeed a struggle, but after spending hours and hours trying to understand the logic of how to use the CAD tools to create simple paths, I finally got it...  I have to say though, I may use Illustrator next time and just export as a DXF for something this complicated. It should have only taken 30 min. to create this driveway in CAD if CA made lines like other vector drawing programs...  Instead once I got the basic gist of how some of the line tools worked and their unimaginable limitations I managed to effectively crank this out in about 2 hours...  after an entire day of learning and frustration...  I am satisfied...   None-the-less, this still is just an awesome application and just keeps getting better year after year.  I just think that in a subsequent release that they might want to consider taking a look at some of the basic functionality features and giving those a sprucing up...  Always good to get back to the basics every now and then...

Just to show you that it can be done:

Thanks for the tip, that's exactly what I needed... direction in the thought process on the how.   :D

I do have another question along these lines but I think I'll ask it in a fresh post so as to focus it in a slightly different direction.

post-5958-0-92941500-1431873485_thumb.png

it may have been possible to use the Road Tool and the Cul-de-sac Tool to make this , and then cut a hole in the Cul-de-sac too but I know Roads effect terrain different from Sidewalk too , not sure if you need Curbs or not either.

M.