Steel I Beam As Rim Around Deck?

HumbleChief

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

• Solution

Does the Rim Joist Setting in the Building Framing DBX not work Larry ?

think you'd need the Joists to be steel too ?  or Does Chief call all edges of a deck a Rim?

haven't tried it but know it's there....

post-315-0-92182600-1431787584_thumb.jpg

edit  ** I guess if you used that though you'd have steel I-beams for all the Rims on that level right?

PS if you grab the 3dPolyline for the 2nd floor you can pull it down at the deck to fill the holes each side

Little strange as you found out too , even with the steel I beams spec'd all the materials stayed Wood  , but it was easy enough to change the material to  "Iron Rough" on those 3 joists in the 3d framing view , if fact I'm not sure you need that setting , looks like you need to go in and change it out to steel anyway.

are your 2nd floor joists really 5 1/2" ?  or should they be 9 1/2" too?

Have a good Sat.

M

Little strange as you found out too , even with the steel I beams spec'd all the materials stayed Wood  , but it was easy enough to change the material to  "Iron Rough" on those 3 joists in the 3d framing view , if fact I'm not sure you need that setting , looks like you need to go in and change it out to steel anyway.

are your 2nd floor joists really 5 1/2" ?  or should they be 9 1/2" too?

Have a good Sat.

M

I think I answered all those question in the second vid and your observations were correct.

I see you posted a 2nd vid , while I was "playing"  , looks like you got it sorted out.

I guess you use a template plan?, not sure if it has some "lost" images on it as when I opened your test plan   it asked where some files from a project called Hoover , a siteplan .tif and something else.png , I can close chief and try it again if you need the exact names.

M.

Larry, couldn't you just change your deck room defaults to get what you want without changing the floor joist of all the building?

Good idea Perry but I avoid decks like the plague. I hate the framing disappearing and other odd 'deck' behavior.

Maybe I can call them a kitchen or bedroom and set the default as you suggest? May end up there but for now the 3D looks perfect and for the initial concept looks pretty good.

Those are embedded plot maps that came from those previous files. Not needed in this file but thanks for the heads up.

Yep I noticed that , just thought you were unknowingly making your test files larger than needed with images imbedded in you Template plan.