Post The Plan?

briang552014

Really? What is the reason. I understand that it would help to post the plan on here, but there are people on here that have seen the problem shown in a picture and have an answer to how to fix it. If you have to ask to post the plan, it can be thought that you just want a free Chief Model. I put a bunch of work into my plans just to post them on here for anyone to take anytime. Really? I've used Chief for many years and can figure out what most of the problems are on here. So if you have to ask to post the plan. Just don't and move on to another sucker. The Pic is a plan of mine for example that I would not want anyone to be able to call their own.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Nice job ,but I don't see anything special about your design that anyone here can't do. You can copy your plan and send a stripped down version just showing your problem, then someone here can answer exactly what your problem is, we need to look at all the settings to be sure.

• Upvote 2

More often than not there's a ton of guesswork and wasted time trying to figure out the problem before a solution is reached.  With the plan (even a stripped down version as Perry suggested) you can usually get an answer super quickly and its no longer guesswork...Plus, we all learn something from it.

• Upvote 1

I can just go on Houzz.com if I want to plagiarize someone else's design work. I've started to participate in this forum knowing that there are many members far more experienced in Chief than I who are more than willing to take some time from their busy work schedule to help. The least I can do is send down a plan when requested to do so.

Graham

• Upvote 3

My 2 cents if you want it;

Been in the construction business as a general contractor for 27 years now. I'm not afraid to share with other professionals the way I do things. I even help my local competitors when they need it. Their is enough work for everyone to share. No reason to be paranoid about someone steeling your Ideas. If anything I think it has help me more then I have helped them at times. The way I look at it the people that steel and are dishonest aren't goanna make it anyway and are really not a competitor. Your lies always catch up with you in the end. Also if the person helping you see's one thing in your plan that helps him to improve his wouldn't you want to help that person anyway that is helping you. You can also choose to send your plan directly to a specific person if the forum if you don't want everyone to see it.

Respectfully

• Upvote 1

Maybe if I asked Wendy to post all her Plans, it would be very suspicious.  She has a lot of different Plans and that's her business model.  OTOH, she's in a totally different part of the country and the style of Architecture is much different from what I do, so it wouldn't make sense for me to copy her designs anyway.

I have yet to see a Plan on this Forum that I would have any interest in copying.  I think that's true for almost everyone that gives assistance on CT - we just need to see the settings, etc so we can solve the problems.  It usually takes Scott, Perry, Glenn, me or any one of the users here only a minute or two to find the problem and give the answer if we have the actual Plan - otherwise we can only guess.  Sometimes the guess is easy but sometimes it's not.

Posting plans helps to get quicker more accurate answers. Often there are multiple possible causes so a plan may be necessary to give an accurate diagnosis.

Posting a trimmed down plan that demonstrates your issue with the least amount of extra stuff in it is an even better thing and hopefully should address your intellectual property rights concerns as well.

• Upvote 1

Really? What is the reason. I understand that it would help to post the plan on here, but there are people on here that have seen the problem shown in a picture and have an answer to how to fix it. If you have to ask to post the plan, it can be thought that you just want a free Chief Model. I put a bunch of work into my plans just to post them on here for anyone to take anytime. Really? I've used Chief for many years and can figure out what most of the problems are on here. So if you have to ask to post the plan. Just don't and move on to another sucker. The Pic is a plan of mine for example that I would not want anyone to be able to call their own.

Well, I have been using Chief for 15-16 years, and there are times I cant figure out what is happening in a plan from a picture.   It takes opening the DBX's, sorting out floor definitions, looking for anomalies like missed wall connections, or automatic wall that somehow get connected to a manual one and you have odd room definitions with 'no locate' walls mixing in.   Or you can have default floor values different than ones in plan and they are mixing on floor below.....or you can have 2 rooms with 2 differeing ceiling heights below.....or...

Well.....yea you are right....you can tell all that just from a picture.

Srs dude....no one wants your designs.   And no one wants to spend the better part of their day speculating at what might be wrong with your plan from a picture.   However there are a lot of GREAT people on here who will take time out of their busy days to try to help out others if you make it easy on them by posting the plan.   Otherwise you are asking them to waste even more time and start a q&a session of all the possible things it could be.    No thank you.

And funny.....you think people want your plans.   You insult the people who are actually trying to help you.   THAT is my frustration coming out. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I have been using Chief for 15-16 years, and there are times I cant figure out what is happening in a plan from a picture.   It takes opening the DBX's, sorting out floor definitions, looking for anomalies like missed wall connections, or automatic wall that somehow get connected to a manual one and you have odd room definitions with 'no locate' walls mixing in.   Or you can have default floor values different than ones in plan and they are mixing on floor below.....or you can have 2 rooms with 2 differeing ceiling heights below.....or...

Well.....yea you are right....you can tell all that just from a picture.

Srs dude....no one wants your designs.   And no one wants to spend the better part of their day speculating at what might be wrong with your plan from a picture.   However there are a lot of GREAT people on here who will take time out of their busy days to try to help out others if you make it easy on them by posting the plan.   Otherwise you are asking them to waste even more time and start a q&a session of all the possible things it could be.    No thank you.

And funny.....you think people want your plans.   You insult the people who are actually trying to help you.   THAT is my frustration coming out. 

Ouch! Brutally honest but true.

• Upvote 1

I've always had the take that people who are afraid to post the plan are, how we say.......not all that proud of it?

Agree, they may be fearful someone may question some aspect of the design.

It should also be considered that most designs are a collaborative effort between the client & the designer and as the client is the one paying it is actually their design. I'd understand if you were designing some concept for a new Apple store, but in this case Apple would have made you sign a nondisclosure agreement.

Graham

I work solo as many of us do. I consider this forum my studio environment in the sense of a community similar to a larger office or the architectural school studio. In architecture school the studio is a place of learning where you could walk by someones desk and open up a conversation based on what you are seeing that could help you reshape your thoughts on your own design.

Copying, of course people will copy. None of us create. We are all copying from Wright, Palladius, Corbu, Eichler, Graves, Sullivan, Saarinen(s), Stickler... In the words of the best professor one could ever have as a young architecture student (Konrad Von Appen), "if you are going to copy someone, copy someone good".

I have posted file after file on this forum. If someone uses my(?) design or details from my construction docs I don't really care. To copyright a house design is almost impossible if one or two small aspects are changed. Does anyone really think they have come up with a kitchen layout that is somehow unique? Does your latest fenestration pattern change the rotation of the moon?

There are some great designers and drafters sharing on this forum.  There are also a lot that are not so great. There are also a lot that appear to have very little training in design. But being early in your learning stage is a great place to be. If you are humble and honest in your experience there are many on this forum who can offer valuable critique if you ask for it. Actually, many times you don't have to ask for it and it comes anyways. Design can be very subjective and therefore you will need to filter comments as some may not sit well but even those could hold a lot of value if viewed with an open mind.

Oh, back to the original poster, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Well said Alan and I think the fear that one's designs will be stolen is a pretty natural thing until one examines the reality just bit closer as you (and others) have illustrated above.

What real damage is done if your design is used somewhere else? First of all it will almost never be used in its entirety because of local conditions and clients concerns, wants and needs, and even if it was what really happens next? If your design is built right next to the house you designed then that's a different story but the chances of that happening here with the diverse community that inhabits this forum is pretty remote.

On the other hand some us of don't really need to worry about our designs being stolen :D  :D  :D

I work solo as many of us do. I consider this forum my studio environment in the sense of a community similar to a larger office or the architectural school studio. In architecture school the studio is a place of learning where you could walk by someones desk and open up a conversation based on what you are seeing that could help you reshape your thoughts on your own design.

Well said, Alan. I too work solo and feel exactly as you do. All of you guys (and gals :) ) are my community, professionally speaking - at least I think I am a professional. I stop by hear almost daily, sometimes multiple times if work permits, because this is not only where I learn (could I get ceu credit for this?), it is also where I "connect." There are many advantages to working solo and from a home office. But community is not one of them. People need people - it's the way were created.

Well said Alan and I think the fear that one's designs will be stolen is a pretty natural thing until one examines the reality just bit closer as you (and others) have illustrated above.

What real damage is done if your design is used somewhere else? First of all it will almost never be used in its entirety because of local conditions and clients concerns, wants and needs, and even if it was what really happens next? If your design is built right next to the house you designed then that's a different story but the chances of that happening here with the diverse community that inhabits this forum is pretty remote.

On the other hand some us of don't really need to worry about our designs being stolen :D  :D  :D

The truth (that the op should be aware of) is I could copy any of his designs on his site and have a working model of his house in less than an hour.  (and mine would probably not have the strange wall break he is experiencing)...sorry...could not resist the last part ;)

How hard it is to snap a jpg, resize with transform/ replicate and trace over it?.... The roofs....well since I came up from old V 6 or 7, I draw most of mine manually anyway.  I could probably get one to the point of being recognizable in 30 min since the design examples I saw are pretty straight forward and not very complex.   (not putting down the designs in any way....they just dont appear to be complex.  Heck, I have many many simple plans I have drawn too...so dont take that as a dig).

In the end, I may have been a little harsh...but the idea that someone is going to "steal" his design is just silly.

I've always had the take that people who are afraid to post the plan are, how we say.......not all that proud of it?

Or, as has happened to me, the plan is only half-baked, so may still be a bit disorganized, mostly incomplete and maybe not so pretty.  That tends to be when most issues rear their ugly heads and I can somewhat understand being a bit shy to share it with the world. 

I had an issue once very early in my Chief career where 2 walls completely disappeared in 3D views and no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get them back, even though I could see them in plan view.  Turns out my ceiling height had somehow gotten changed to 2" (no idea how!); it took an experienced person about 10 seconds to discover this once they got the actual plan and looked through the DBXs.  This is a prime example of why it's valuable to share the complete plan as opposed to a screen shot. 

PS - if someone likes my work enough to want to copy it in whole or in part, I'm more likely to be flattered.

Design can be very subjective and therefore you will need to filter comments as some may not sit well but even those could hold a lot of value if viewed with an open mind.

First I want to make clear that I do not agree with the OP in this thread.  I agree with everyone else's comments.  I do see that the OP already has "-2" points for his personal thoughts.  I am not a fan of the whole point system, but I wouldn't want to see him blocked because he was just expressing is opinion (I believe this happened to Perry once (as a joke of course)).  Most of us, if not all, do not agree with his point of view...but as Alan pointed out....we need to filter comments.  Not that we agree with him, but let's try to help educate him first before giving out negative points (even though I personally think the point thing is pointless  ;) )  Just my two cents.....

I believe you are mixing up reputation points with warning points (which I don't even see anymore). Warning points (if they still exist) can only be given by the forum moderators. Negative reputation points as far as I know cannot get you kicked out. They are simply reflect a persons "reputation".

I believe you are mixing up reputation points with warning points (which I don't even see anymore). Warning points (if they still exist) can only be given by the forum moderators. Negative reputation points as far as I know cannot get you kicked out. They are simply reflect a persons "reputation".

If that is the case...that works for me.  I was just referring back to when Perry got blocked from what appeared to be us giving him negative points.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/824-perry-is-banned-from-posting/?hl=points

If rep points can get you blocked, I can understand giving negative points if the person is being flat out rude...but it was his own opinion.  I feel that moderators should be giving out warnings if they see fit if people are being rude in the moderator's opinion.

I don't believe warning points are visible to others on the forums.  I think I had one when I first got on (for some reason)...but haven't see it for quite sometime.