Who Want To See This Fixed, I Do.

DRAWZILLA

This happens a lot and I would like to see it fixed once and for all. Chief please fix this stair bug. The railing will never work correctly until this gets fixed because the handrail will not detect a wall at that triangle point and Chief creates a full rail there.

post-113-0-86111100-1431634451_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Perry doing a set of simple steps to the second floor steps are 42" wide and cover the wall below which has steps to the basement and they are jumping all over the place and a simple straight set of steps that should be nothing to do and I have to keep moving them back into position, very time consuming, Chief please fix fix the steps and railings 

• Upvote 1

+100000 chief we need a big overhaul on stairs and railings and ASAP, chief users have been asking for a long time, if there is improvements made and can be put to use before the next version you would make a lot of users very very happy

• Upvote 1

I sat next to this guy on a house tour bus in Vegas who happened to be a Softplan user, and he went on and on about some things he wanted changed in Softplan (I think stairs was one of his bigger gripes), and he ended the rant by saying if they don't fix it I'm switching to Chief Architect.

The reason the grass is greener on the other side of the fence is because it rains more there.

I agree that stairs, along with a long list of other things need to be improved. The problem that Perry has shown is something that we probably should take a look at fixing as it is difficult, but not impossible, to do correctly. As it turns out this is one particular problem that we have unfortunately not been as aware of as we probably should have been.

Thanks for pointing this out to us Perry.

I think Joe might be right about wall issues,  it looks like the same/similar issue as in a post from last week by Jay6390 that I ended up fixing for Jay off forum and it was a total PITA to make look right as the wall wouldn't heal itself / cover the studs etc after it was cut back to the stair stringer in an elevation view and I added the Crown molding drop.... perhaps I missed a setting or something to get the drywall to recover the studs somehow ? though I thought this was AUTO if inside a room with definition?

post-315-0-26139500-1431709925_thumb.jpg

Jay's original thread

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5123-false-wall-to-cover-stairs/

I too  still experience the moving stairs...  can't explain why,  but they do move....  primarily the switch backs with a landing.

Me too.  It's the walls.  Stairs just love to think they need to be beside a wall, not have a wall under them.  But they are a little schizzo about which wall!  I've seen them move from beside Wall A with Wall B under them, to beside Wall B with Wall A now under them!  I keep complaining, but then I have an example that repeats, then one where it behaves.  I haven't succeeded yet in making my complaints repeatable enough and frequent enough to get this fixed.  But make no mistake, it's blinkin' annoying!

In Archicad they have a wall intersection priority number that is assigned from 1 to 16 to solve such issues. 1 being lowest priority and 16 being the highest. It's always possible to resolve such discrepancies since there is a broader range to assign to the different layers of materials that meet at one point. Rather than Chief's more limited bearing or non bearing material.

I switched from 6 years with Softplan. Trust me, the grass is way greener here. It just has a few yellow spots.

:)

And if you ever try to build a quick kitchen in Archicad you will run back to Chief. However Archicad terrain is awesome quick and simple. (A friend of mine is a seller)

Just curious, how many software engineers work for CA?

How much resource do they spend on fixing the nuts & bolts of the software?

Maybe a year where no new features are added but fix the existing features / functions.

I know dealing with 3D is very complex but they have been at this for may years.

Just wondering where their priority's lie.

As I am not and expert at programing I would assume that the problem may lie in the fixes themselves. When you fix one thing another problem may arise. They need some of us involved in using the program after the fixes to test it. I think it is just a vicious circle. When you install a new version or upgrade make sure the old one you are used to is still active so you can switch back if you need too. If you don't want to go thru this possess then stay a couple of versions behind. I however like the challenges so I can learn more about the program along with CA. No program will never be perfect. We should continue to forward all our problems and suggestions to CA and not just complain. Don't mean to sound like I'm scolding someone but a wise man once said to me "If your not part of the solution you are part of the problem".

Respectfully

Joey,
I take issue with your wise man, one can be neutral. :)

If by complaining I am part of the problem then so be it. As an amateur programmer I am critical of some of the things I see.
There are a lot of easy fixes that would improve the CA interface. So for pointing that out I am part of the problem?
I am not happy to make due & get by with "work around's". Sorry but that is who I am. BTW I do send suggestions to Chief.

And I respect your opinion and see nothing wrong in you stating it.

Thanks
Alan

Graeme I understand that I was putting out there that if they were looking for a tester to test before V8 comes out to see how things were going I was will to help out since I have sent many request in, always willing to help improve the program even if they wanted to do some test between.

Joey,

I take issue with your wise man, one can be neutral. :)

If by complaining I am part of the problem then so be it. As an amateur programmer I am critical of some of the things I see.

There are a lot of easy fixes that would improve the CA interface. So for pointing that out I am part of the problem?

I am not happy to make due & get by with "work around's". Sorry but that is who I am. BTW I do send suggestions to Chief.

And I respect your opinion and see nothing wrong in you stating it.

Thanks

Alan

Sorry Alan,

May have crossed the line a little bit. I have appreciated you on this forum. I stand behind what I said in general but I owe you an apology because you are basically an encourager to others. Your not the problem. 

Forgiveness?

J

I was allowed to download a beta version. Don't they offer a Beta test version to all regular subscribers?  

Joey Chief usually does just before the final release but the program has been beta test by other members before it is offered to SSA subscribers