Custom Window Symbol

Byyourbuilder

I am trying to make a custom window symbol for an eyebrow dormer. I had to make a custom eyebrow roof symbol by its self because chief would not let me put it where it needed to go, all worked fine.  Now I am trying to create a custom window symbol. I don't create that many symbols so I am not great at it ,every time I try to isolate the window by shutting off wall layers I loose my window. I am using a chief window that I shaped correctly.. Will or should this work or do I need to make it out of p solids  ? 

THANKS for any and all help

Windows in walls are essentially "children" of the wall.  If the wall is not displayed then the window is not displayed either.  The only way you can "isolate" the window is by using the "Delete Surface tool" to temporarily hide the wall surfaces.

What is your reason for "isolating the window"?  Maybe there's another solution.

Look at your window in 3d view and use the "Delete surfaces" tool to delete everything but the window, then use the "Convert to symbol"  in the Tools /Symbol section, to create a new symbol. Go back to a plan ,and use the "Get last symbol" to place it in your plan, you might want to save the symbol to your lib. for future use also.

Joe beat me to it.