Call Outs And Cameras

builtright3

As I take sections and elevations I have been changing them to a call out so they are always live. Typically I don't need a callout or camera to direct me to the exterior elevations. I don't know if anyone does that?

My question would be:

What is the best way to handle the section cameras and the elevation cameras as far them not showing up in the plan? If you turn camera display off then they all go off and I want the section camera display to stay on. Do you think the best way would be to put the section cameras on its own layer?

Another question is:

What would be your suggestion as far as labeling the elevations (automatic or manual)? I want them to have the scale and the direction. Not left, right, front or back.

I simply have all my sections and elevation camera's saved to my template plan so they are always there. The only ones I like to show are the section views on the framing plan and the interior wall camera's on the floor plan. By doing it this way the labels are always there. Sometimes I have to adjust the label name.

Perry,

I love what you did with leaving the sections on the template. Good Idea!

Joe & Graham,

Both of your ideas worked nicely!!!

Also Perry,

Thanks for helping me out with my section. Attached is the result of your help. My sections go on the architectural sets. The engineer puts all the specs on structural drawing.

Question:

In this section I have a lot of text with arrows. I was thinking of blocking the text and putting it in the library and bring it out when I do new sections and then just move around the text where I need it. Also add, delete or change as needed. Is that a dumb idea or is there a better way to save time with this?

post-2478-0-11398100-1431622090_thumb.png

Perry,

I love what you did with leaving the sections on the template. Good Idea!

Joe & Graham,

Both of your ideas worked nicely!!!

Also Perry,

Thanks for helping me out with my section. Attached is the result of your help. My sections go on the architectural sets. The engineer puts all the specs on structural drawing.

Question:

In this section I have a lot of text with arrows. I was thinking of blocking the text and putting it in the library and bring it out when I do new sections and then just move around the text where I need it. Also add, delete or change as needed. Is that a dumb idea or is there a better way to save time with this?

What I do for that is

I have most of my section, foundation, and elevation notes in  simple text macro's  I created in Ruby.  The good thing about that is when you need to make a change to the note, you just change the ruby note and every instance of that note will change automatically in all plans, like code change references or material changes-- very handy.  You can copy your existing notes in ruby-- no re-typing necessary.

What I do for that is

I have most of my section, foundation, and elevation notes in  simple text macro's  I created in Ruby.  The good thing about that is when you need to make a change to the note, you just change the ruby note and every instance of that note will change automatically in all plans, like code change references or material changes-- very handy.  You can copy your existing notes in ruby-- no re-typing necessary.

I tried to find video on macros and Ruby and have been unsuccessful thus far. If anyone can help me to find a video to explain what Perry is doing here it would help me much. I'm a visual person and sometimes written instruction is hard to figure things out. I do eventually but I'm just slow.

Thank you Perry :)

Thanks, Perry, for the video reference. I have been doing a similar work flow to yours with many of my text notes already in the plan template (like Joey was asking about). Haven't gotten very far with the macros but I will now as this would be a tremendous time saver. Can't tell you how many times I have printed a layout set and found a stray note or two I failed to delete that were left over from the template.

Mike

Thanks, Perry, for the video reference. I have been doing a similar work flow to yours with many of my text notes already in the plan template (like Joey was asking about). Haven't gotten very far with the macros but I will now as this would be a tremendous time saver. Can't tell you how many times I have printed a layout set and found a stray note or two I failed to delete that were left over from the template.

Mike

Last 4 weeks I have been making everything live, adding annotation sets and learning macros. A lot of work but worth the effort. I actually enjoy drawing now because I'm not doing things over and over again. Automatic is the way to go!

Lots of thanks to all on this forum. :)

Just think Joey,

Someday (In a Galaxy Far, Far Away) we might have fully automatic annotation of Elevations, Sections, Wall Details, etc.  The computer will be plugged into a jack at the back of our head and will read our minds.  Then the 3D printer will build our design using the latest materials.

I would just like the automatic annotation by X9 but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Just think Joey,

Someday (In a Galaxy Far, Far Away) we might have fully automatic annotation of Elevations, Sections, Wall Details, etc.  The computer will be plugged into a jack at the back of our head and will read our minds.  Then the 3D printer will build our design using the latest materials.

I would just like the automatic annotation by X9 but I'm not going to hold my breath.

You just lived up to your posted picture