Object Layer Properties

ACADuser

OK so when you select an object the Layer Properties opens up on the right saving you a step to select the button on the bottom of the screen.

BUT if you wish to change the layer there is no pull down menu to select the new layer only an edit box to type a new name.

How lame is that?

There are a lot, and I MEAN A LOT, of user features & short cuts missing form this software.

OK I know I'm bitching again. I just had to say it.

post-2435-0-46988900-1431609051.gif

I agree there are some frustrating things about Chief (and most software) and have to admit I am really not sure what you're talking about but maybe Graham got the answer for you. Here it is in, perhaps, a little clearer fashion. I see the dbx got cut off from the screen but you should get the idea (and graham should get the credit for the answer and all the points :D  :D  :D ).

http://www.screencast.com/t/UZXfJeV5uw

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it is clear to me but may not be so obvious to observers. sorry for that.

Attached is a screen shot.

When you select an object the object layer properties is displayed on the right.

You both got that, but I want to change the layer of the object, not the layer set.

All you can do is edit the layer name. Not sure what function that serves.

post-2435-0-18753300-1431613894_thumb.png

This is what I would like to see in the dialog above.

And not have to go to the object DBX to get it.

And another thing the pull down menu should have the "Casing Objects" layer at the top of the pulldown

and not at the bottom. Seems like the CA designers are not talking with the end users for "Ease of Use Features"

These items and many more seem easy enough to implement. On a software this mature it shock me to see so may items not attended to.

Sorry, it's been a frustrating morning here & I've had too much coffee. :wacko:

post-2435-0-32140700-1431614424_thumb.png

I agree there are some frustrating things about Chief (and most software) and have to admit I am really sure what you're talking about but maybe Graham got the answer for you. Here it is in, perhaps, a little clearer fashion. I see the dbx got cut off from the screen but you should get the idea (and graham should get the credit for the answer and all the points :D  :D  :D ).

http://www.screencast.com/t/UZXfJeV5uw

Thanks Larry - I think we should share the points. Your screencast demonstrated exactly what I was trying to say. Really appreciate that. I'm going to have to learn how to do this screencast thing. 

Many Thanks,

Graham

And another thing the pull down menu should have the "Casing Objects" layer at the top of the pulldown

and not at the bottom. Seems like the CA designers are not talking with the end users for "Ease of Use Features"

That's been a niggle with me as well. It's those small things that make the day just a bit longer.

Let me just say that developing a one story 1200 or 1600 sq ft house is remarkably fast in CA.
So I have found a tool that will work for my needs. The 3D views are great for analyzing the structure and
eliminating problems with the design. So for that I thank Chief. This aspect of the program has been great.
I am overcoming many of the problem I had initially with the software with the generous help in this forum.
My prior 15 year experience with Autocad leads me to want more out of the user interface and better CAD
tools form CA. I can't help it but i have been exposed to easier and more efficient ways to get things done.
I am hoping that CA will listen to the desires of end users like me & improve the user interface.

Thanks for listening.
Alan

Let me just say that developing a one story 1200 or 1600 sq ft house is remarkably fast in CA.

So I have found a tool that will work for my needs. The 3D views are great for analyzing the structure and

eliminating problems with the design. So for that I thank Chief. This aspect of the program has been great.

I am overcoming many of the problem I had initially with the software with the generous help in this forum.

My prior 15 year experience with Autocad leads me to want more out of the user interface and better CAD

tools form CA. I can't help it but i have been exposed to easier and more efficient ways to get things done.

I am hoping that CA will listen to the desires of end users like me & improve the user interface.

Thanks for listening.

Alan

Post something in the suggestions forum, can only help get what you want.

The ALDO is basically a non-modal combination of the LDO and the OLP dialogs.  When no object is selected it functions as the LDO.  When an object is selected it functions as the OLP.  The ALDO is configurable using "Settings" but otherwise it's only benefit is being non-modal and movable.

None of these dialogs was intended as a way to actually edit an object.  For that functionality you have to open the object itself.

For my purposes, I would much prefer having a non-modal and movable Object dbx.  I don't use the ALDO just because it takes up additional screen real estate.

The ALDO is basically a non-modal combination of the LDO and the OLP dialogs.  When no object is selected it functions as the LDO.  When an object is selected it functions as the OLP.  The ALDO is configurable using "Settings" but otherwise it's only benefit is being non-modal and movable.

None of these dialogs was intended as a way to actually edit an object.  For that functionality you have to open the object itself.

For my purposes, I would much prefer having a non-modal and movable Object dbx.  I don't use the ALDO just because it takes up additional screen real estate.

Non-modal operation in Chief is number one on my top ten list. I don't use the ALDO much either and I'm a bit sad about that considering how much work went in to it.

I agree, would love to be able to change layers from that dbx. Maybe those who know more will chime in with an answer.

http://www.screencast.com/t/a0DtByX8faO

I would personally not want to be able to change the layer just by clicking on another layer because I would be afraid of just doing that accidently. A right click and a drop down box might work well though.

Is that what you guys are saying?

Alan,

Not disagreeing with you on adding layer change to ALDO, but have you used the Layer Painter and Layer Eyedropper tools to their fullest? They are pretty fast, especially if set up with hotkeys.

Richard,

Yes I use them quite often but not what I had in mind here.

Example: I draw a 3D molding & decide later want to put it on my special layer. I select the molding & the layer dialog pops up in the right pane.

Seems logical that I could pick the layer name box & a pull down would allow me to change the layer.

I am trying to stay neutral on this subject.  I guess I could agree that a drop-down selection of the Layer would work, but this dialog is the ALDO (Active Layer Display Options) and by that definition it has to do with that subject.

Editing Objects per se is assigned to the Object Specification dialog.  That's where Layer, Linestyle, Color, etc. are modified.  Do we need that dialog to be NON-MODAL so it can be always displayed?  Of course and it's not a new request - maybe CA will provide that at some future time.  I hope so.

Would I rather have the Object DBX pop up in place of the useless layer dialog, YES YES YES

This is what you see in ACAD

Any property in the right column that has a pull down is accessible for changing

Any property that can be edited can be changed right there.

post-2435-0-87258200-1431631438_thumb.png

Alan,

ACAD is not Chief Architect.  However, SoftPlan does have the non-modal Object Specification Dialog and it's something that IMO Chief should implement.  It isn't as simple as it is for ACAD simply because 3D Objects in Chief have a lot more variables.  Still, with Tab Pages, Drop-Down Lists, etc. it is still possible.

Maybe we just need the option to pin DBX specifications to the screen. Then we would only have to single click an item and the specs would show. Photoshop has this type of pinning, you can have any number of them up on the screen in any position.

Graham

I don't think CA has any pinning? Maybe this would be a nice feature for a lot of things?

Alan,

ACAD is not Chief Architect.  However, SoftPlan does have the non-modal Object Specification Dialog and it's something that IMO Chief should implement.  It isn't as simple as it is for ACAD simply because 3D Objects in Chief have a lot more variables.  Still, with Tab Pages, Drop-Down Lists, etc. it is still possible.

Yes, have the Object DBX pop into place like the Active Layer dialog. That would be a huge step forward IMO.