Can You Edit Auto Exterior Dimensions?

ACADuser

I have a T shaped house & auto dim runs a line of dimensions along the under side of the T.

These cross through the living space and show a 30' dimension which is in the wrong place.

Can i trim it out of there somehow?

post-2435-0-20906300-1431535491_thumb.png

Thanks David but I did not see how.

Note that I have a auto exterior dimension with 5 or so points.

What I want is to eliminate one of the interior dimensions (the 30' one) see the red circle.

Then you would have two dimension groups given that the inner 30' dimension is removed.

Is that doable?

Not sure why CA put the inner 30' dimension in the first place.

Alan,

No, you can't delete an individual section of a dimension string and create 2 dimension strings.

You can edit it by removing extensions- but it's still one dimension string.

You would need to delete it and draw 2 new dimension lines or edit the existing one and draw 1 new one.

Thanks fellas.

Jon I drew a dem on top & it did not break the dimension but joined two dim segments into one larger dim segment.

If that is what you meant it did do that.

Alan, I was afraid that was the answer. Not the end of the world but It would be nice to be able to edit these dim objects.

If you could explode them into individual dimension objects it would work.

I have a T shaped house & auto dim runs a line of dimensions along the under side of the T.

These cross through the living space and show a 30' dimension which is in the wrong place.

Can i trim it out of there somehow?

And the answer is........  drum roll please........  group select dimensions and put them on their own layer and you can edit them until you heart is content.

I do this all the time. Auto dimension and then put dimensions on FLOOR PLAN DIMENSIONS LAYER,  or FOUNDATION DIMENSIONS LAYER   etc.

Hey,  do I get a bonus point for this answer?  

mumble mumble..... I hope I understood the question correctly.

Jon, that worked. :)  PS where did you discover that trick?

Scott, auto dim and where there are three or more dimensions tied together remove one of the inner dimensions leaving two separate dimension objects.

Jon, that worked. :)  PS where did you discover that trick?

Scott, auto dim and where there are three or more dimensions tied together remove one of the inner dimensions leaving two separate dimension objects.

Jon should get the point.  I was thinking that if you have auto update auto ext dimensions on,  you cannot change them without turning off auto update dimensions.  

And since I leave auto update dimensions on all the time,  it is a problem to edit auto dimensions unless they are on a different layer.

It was I that misunderstood the issue.  I will give Jon a point because he taught me the same thing a while back.

The case you are describing sound's like a bug in the automatic dimension algorithm......

I am not sure what the bug would be.  Is there anybody saying there is a bug?  I do not think there is a bug.

The auto exterior dimension shouldn't create a dimension through the middle of the plan as shown in the image if it is working right.

I agree, worked ok on the first floor.

No wall showing a broken wall symbol.