Wood Flooring With Minwax

JasonParsons

Go to solution Solved by TheKitchenAbode,

I had asked in suggestions for Minwax stain and we now have it!  However, does anyone have a raw hardwood flooring material that they use to apply it to?  I am using the core material Natural Oak under flooring for now

I just use any hardwood flooring from the catalogs and then apply the a finish to it. Not sure there is a need to start with a raw wood. For a really good selection of hardwood flooring try the ones in the Armstrong Manufacture Catalog. For regular sheet type woods I often use the Formica samples. Also some of the cabinet manufactures have raw woods in their catalogs but they are not for flooring.

Graham

I downloaded the minwax file today, and there are only finishes.  my concern with using a wood that is already tinted with stain, would alter the color from what it should look like.

I guess i will raytrace an image and compare it to a picture from Minwax's site to be sure.

Thanks!

• Solution

Shouldn't be an issue. A materials texture is separate from it's colour. You should just be able to use that evil paint can and spray it.

I have found stained woods the most difficult to accurately represent. Everything is spec'd back to the manufacturers sample. Also, every wood species will take the stain differently and woods with an inherent colour such as Cherry will also influence the stains colour as does the application technique. For cabinetry a sample is either available or we have one made to show that stain on that species of wood, client then signs-off.

Graham