Site Plan As Cad Detail Or Anno/layer Set?

HumbleChief

Using a CAD detail will let you use the Plan Footprint. Personally, I find it's easier to do a 2D site plan, with the surveyor's DWG, in a separate window, and be able to easily drag the house around, rather than moving everything else to match the house.

Good point Richard and have always done the same thing with the plan footprint in 2D. Haven't really tried using Anno Sets yet but am modifying a Layout now to see how it works for me. I'n thinking out loud that once the PL is created it too could be moved around to fit the walls of the plan and can't readily see a downside to using Anno Sets. Thanks for the feedback

A couple things I like about doing it in a CAD detail is that no matter how you open the Site Plan, whether it's from layout, the Project Browser or thru CAD Detail Management, it is always in the correct layer set & anno set (more precisely, when it was last closed).  In addition to that, the CAD defaults are what I want for site plans -decimal ft to 2 places & quadrant bearing. (CAD details can have there own CAD defaults separate from the plan's CAD defaults.)

I don't know if that can be controlled by layer or anno sets in plan.

Another plus is that you can draw the site plan & annotate it as it will be orientated on the page.

The plan footprint is "live" w/ the plan.

So I'm confused w/ " not live"?

Larry,

What you are selecting is the Footprint Polyline. It's display is controlled in the Plan Footprint Spec dbx. I have chosen to "Use Current Layer Set to Display" & use the same layer set in plan & the CAD detail- the Site Plan layer set. I can then edit from plan what displays in the plan footprint seen in the CAD detail Site Plan.

The basics are here.  http://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=plan%20footprint&referrer=chiefhelp

post-120-0-08903400-1431384787_thumb.jpg

VERY helpful Jim. Took me 10 minutes to figure out you double click on the foot print to display the dbx.

Amazing how helpful that video was. Never really bothered to learn this feature in Chief. I think the combo of the Anno Sets controlling the Plot Plan Set, relayed to the plan foot print display may be the best bet, for me. Still experimenting.\ but thanks so much for taking the time.